Tuned scoot with standard forks and brakes etc

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
scoothappy
Main scooter: GP200

i run a ts1 with a bitubo rear, italian front dampers, gp rear brakes and stock front disc both with upgraded pads. works good for me but hydraulic is better. just need to keep your eye open for collisions! :shock:
Lamaddict

I think is hard to beat the standard Lambretta rear brake and those disc things bolted on just look like bling to me. I also think a moderately tuned scooter with a well set up drum front break is OK IMO. However, I learnt to keep the original drum shoes on Innocenti's as once they've been cleaned up, if they are sevicable, they are very good.

I once heard a tale that back in the day scooter lads used to take off their disc barkes and replace them with the drum type, as they were 'alot better'
GlosRob

A mate of mine has a Servetta with a drum brake and it's cracking but then this is a bog standard scoot that does not go that fast anyway.
shocky

hi rob first thing i do to any scooter is upgrade the lights,suspension,rims and tyres and a disc brake, most standard brakes are designed for 50 yrs ago at least ....... or buy a GTS ;) anyway this is a bit of a plug but if you need the fork damper brackets welding i have several sets here and also the fork links with damper mounts on, or if you want a set of disc links for standard inboard i have a nice set here just replated
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
johnny diamond

no probs here!! you quickly learn to adjust your braking distances,and it makes you more alert to potential dangers. keep the style! most superbikes have super suspension and super brakes/tyres/handling etc,etc, mr volvo usually gets em anyway coz they are not concentrating. :lol:
GlosRob

Cheers all I know the sensible thing is to go for a disc etc but I have all the Mods on my TS1 and would like this scooter look as standard as possible.

I am thinking my Imola engine which has leccy ignition Li gears etc with a filtered 28 mm dellorto and an Ancilloti pipe, It's not going to be rapid but clearly better then standard.

If I opt for a Hydraulic brake then I may as well do Imola, 30mm carb, JL4 etc etc.

What about an inboard with hidden master cylinder ho effective are they ?
vince

johnny diamond wrote:no probs here!! you quickly learn to adjust your braking distances,and it makes you more alert to potential dangers. keep the style! most superbikes have super suspension and super brakes/tyres/handling etc,etc, mr volvo usually gets em anyway coz they are not concentrating. :lol:
Sorry but I find your smiley at the end of your statement a bit offensive. A very experienced rider friend of mine died when some one pulled out on him, I know there are some prats out there who are accidents waiting to happen and quite a few of this group also drive cars. I am sure that many crash victims would testify that the lack of concerntration was from the car driver and there was nothing they could do to avoid what happened. These car drivers do not all display the warning signals that good riders learn to read whilst out there. Please do not just write off accidents as riders lacking concerntration.

Putting that aside ,having raced scooters and used brakes to there maximum ability , I would have improved brakes on any tuned bike I owned. I can even sort of back this up with proof.
Cadwell Park Club circuit near the paddock there is a very tight r/h hairpin about 20 mph ish approached at 80 mph ish ( before current chicane was fitted) for years I had a reverse pull drum ( TV series 2) brake in disc links , and always felt the stopping power was ok, but other racers kept saying fit a hyd disc . So I fitted the modified original type a Webster style one using his sintered pads. On the first run down to the hairpin I actually had to release the brake again to get to the corner so improved was the stopping ability.
For me that distance saved could save my neck.

P.S. A good working standard rear brake is ok. good stopping comes from the front.
Tuning on the tarmac dyno of life............
johnny diamond

that makes me :cry: but hey i'll get over it :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information