Complete Spanners Manual - corrections please

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
TheSeeker

Another useful chapter would be on carb jetting.

I'll have a go at anything and don't mind learning from mistakes but jetting the carb is the last dark art and unlike most topics the more you read about it the more confused you become. Too rich and it won't start, too lean and it will seize. There are just too many variables for trial error and the mistakes can get very expensive. Exhaust, cylinder, carb, main jet, pilot jet, needle (clip, thickness), idle screw and air mix, there's just no way to start fiddling and see what happens.

There can't be enough space for every possible combination and I realise that a lot a people make their living from this unspoken knowledge so I wouldn't expect miracles but some sort of rough guide would help.

Ben
jimmac

Lamaddict wrote:A clear explanation on how the clutch works would be useful, eventhough I like many others could put one together blindfolded I still don't know exactly how they are suppose to work :oops:
Think of a clutch as a pair of castellated gears (ie teeth on the face, rather than the edge). When they mesh together, the power is transmitted, when the are pushed apart, one side can spin freely, and the other has no force acting on it. Using castellated gears would be very "clunky", but cork discs allow a much smoother engage/disengage action.
Ian Hepworth

johnny diamond wrote: cant see a rehash of the same book with the same title having a few corrections and a little added info creating a desire to purchase it, the original purchasers of the last edition will by now moved on and picked up the additional info thats planned for the next issue :roll:
It's a common phenomenon in publishing especially in fields where things change and progress.

It will be 6 years this summer since the first edition came out and a lot has happened in the Lambretta world.

When I was a nurse some of the books were updated every couple of years to reflect changes in practice based on ongoing research etc.

The bottom line is that the first lot have all but ran out and it would be daft to just re-print it as is. I agree that not everyone who has the first one will buy the 2nd one but I think many will.
johnny diamond

appreciate what you say ian, but unless the book is greatly increased in size and usefull content
it cannot maintain a balance of required information,thats why i suggest two books,one being an idiot proof workshop manual with loads of clear photos highlighting the task in hand with technical data/method charts and the like, and anothier for the more advanced owner, showing various tuning stages and how to achieve them,fitting uprated brakes/wheels/ignition carbs,with help and input from quality tuners/parts suppliers and so on, just think it would be so much more desirable than
a book containing limited snippits of usefull but incomplete info.
Supereibar

Sticky, there is a correction I am not sure if it has been said or not. There are two types of series III 150 gears in Spanish Machines. The regular Li150 DID HAVE li 150 gearboxes (like the Series II Spanish machine which had them as well), as per their Italian cousins. It was the 150 Specials onwards (which means all the ones with Special pannels on the 60's and all the 150 70's & 80's machines, that have that huge jump from 3rd to 4th.

All the best and see you in España very soon!

Jaime
madmaex08

a general overview for setting up carbs could be included, but since carbs are totally different (dellorto SH/PHB,..., mikuni, keihin,..) you woud still have to look up the special instructions for your carb. with enough time and stimulation everybody can sort this out good enough for a street machine to be on the safe side. everything else would need more professional equipment (like for measuring the exhaust temp) or help.

i would not include more then a hint in the right direction for this in the new book (which i will definitely buy although or rather because my 1st version is oily all over).

IMHO duration times (inlet, exhaust and transfers) are a much more compicated part that most people don´t understand at all. i would rather go a little bit deeper into this issue since the best built engine doesn´t run satisfactorily if the duration times are off.

also i see a lot of possible new facts and changes for the clutch section. not only on the high end scale with all the state of the art 6 and 7 plate clutches but also on the cheaper side like side casings with bearing conversions for the clutch shaft and the very much advisable braided clutch cabels.

looking forward for the second edition, keep up the good work sticky.
chiggy03
Dealer

Small and stupid I know but fitting the rear grill before the rear mudguard. If you've got sausage fingers like me it's a nightmare!!!
sydduckett

chiggy03 wrote:Small and stupid I know but fitting the rear grill before the rear mudguard. If you've got sausage fingers like me it's a nightmare!!!
ha ha, my rear badge holder also stares forlornley at me from my work bench. The scoots been built a month... :shock:
Speed Demon
Dealer

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Rest assured that there will be a lot of extra stuff in the book - not just to cover S1 and S2. So far we are looking at over 180 new photos and obviously we'll need extra pages to put them in.

I don't think we can delve much deeper into carburettors for tuned scoots in this book, because any jetting info would be subjective rather than definitive. The jetting lists you can find on ScootRS site and Lloyd's Lambrettas are a handy starting point, but different exhausts/ignition timing/compression will all affect the jets needed. When its a book you are talking about, and you can't ask it questions, then vague advice can be worse than no advice at all.
Get to SULK
sean brady scooters
Dealer

perhaps a paragraph or two on dynos would not go amiss....
just to explain their uses/benefits etc ....
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information