Re-aligning of the gearbox endplate

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Markus

My gearbox endplate has sheared of - a few threads are gone but worst: the holes for the dowel pins are now oval. Now the problem is to get the plate adjusted so that the two bearings of the drive shaft and the lay shaft are concentical. Has anyone experience with repairing that? My idea was to make two "dummy shafts" to go into the casings and endplat instead of the bearings and then make new dowel holes. But I dont's know if that is exact enough. Any other ideas or methods?
Innocenti-71

Strange world...now I have to reply to my German mate in English.

Anyway, you have to put the casing on a eg. a mill, gearbox area facing upwards. Use a "Innenmesstaster" (don´t know the English word - stylus of a profile miller?) to check & align the rear axle bearing position. Then place the gearbox end plate and do likewise.
Should look like this:
Afterwards both bearing tracks should align perfectly.
I have the same problem on my SX200 casing which is at Jockey-Boxenstop right at the moment have it re welded.

First I thought about the "dummy shaft" method as well, but I don´t think it will work exactly enough since the rear bearing hole in the casing is not "deep" to allow a 100% positioning of the dummy shaft. IMO.
Last edited by Innocenti-71 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vince

I have never had to do this,but I would think if you connect the two bits together at the right distance the rear hub bearing (you could make dummy bearing as well ) and the layshaft track (dont use the bearing) should support the back plate in the correct posistion.I would also take the clutch back bearing out and make the dummy layshaft the diameter of the outer part of that bearing .you could also remove the axle roller track giving and make the top of that shaft to match that outer size.,then you could fit the shafts and slide the back plate down the machined shafts.

Good luck.
Tuning on the tarmac dyno of life............
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information