Scary stuff

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Speed Demon
Dealer

Just spotted these pics on the Lambretta Images site shown at the bottom of the page. What's the story PJF?
Get to SULK
soulsurfer

http://www.forums.ilambretta.com/viewto ... ft#p159235

I think there was an article in Jetset last year about his misfortune and the layshaft ;-)
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Seems to be very common nowadays to have them shear off in that way, our kid (treeman) had one go last year on the A1079 going back to york, is it that a lot of TS1s are just pushing to much power through them..?, is it dactec that have a new EN24 one coming out..?
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Innocenti-71

I´ve seen this before... Is this a pattern layshaft?
If the groove for the O-Ring is made "sqare" and not curved like an "u" it might cause a crack when stressed.
dirtyhandslopez

Innocenti-71 wrote:I´ve seen this before... Is this a pattern layshaft?
If the groove for the O-Ring is made "sqare" and not curved like an "u" it might cause a crack when stressed.
Right, everyone off to the shed with a magnifying glass.
I had a spanish one go like that one, just got off the freeway. Luckily.
That's not going anywhere...
Dazza
Main scooter: S3 LI Rapido 225

One of donny hunters had a bad accident on his way home from cumby arms a couple of years ago due to a snapped layshaft.

It doesn't seem too uncommon to hear of them at the moment, as mentioned above there are a few threads on lcgb about it.

General concensus seems to steer clear of the indian ones.***edit*** If you have a choice of course
Last edited by Dazza on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it aint broke.........tinker with it.....
pasner

:shock:
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

dirtyhandslopez wrote:
Innocenti-71 wrote:I had a spanish one go like that one, just got off the freeway. Luckily.
That's worrying. I've got a spare Spanish layshaft in the shed. :shocking: I thought it would be fine, being Spanish as their engineering seems pretty good generally.
DJB
Dealer

The problem is, some layshaft splines are different sizes, i think i seen 4 different sizes. So when fitting a rear hub, there is movement. Which in turn moves the hub backwards and forwards. You must check your hub on the layshaft before fitting. This is a must with new hubs.
Rich_T
Dealer
Main scooter: Li Special

This is a time in a components life when they get weak and fail, metalurgy, fategue what ever. Some of these parts have been kicking around in active service for 40 odd years and there is little chance of checking age or condition other than a good eyeballing. I replaced the crank shaft on my Fathers 1923 Humber this month. This had a forged bearing journal 1" diametre yet it still broke and that 1000cc engine produces a whopping 12 BHP!

I wouldn't say it is down to the power modern engines are putting out, I'd say it was more down to the speed and the stresses involved when we hit things like pot holes etc. I've seen a few of these parts over the years and regularly replaced the O rings when building engines at Gran Sport. I don't seem to remember groves with a round profile in the bottom though. I must admit, the shape of the O ring groove isn't something I paid too much attention too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information