expansion / clubman hybrid?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cezeta

i have a clubman and a spare expansion (jl3 ) i would have thought that this has been tried before but what would be the expected outcome if i grafted the front of a jl3 to the body of a clubman to make it a fully tapered clubman.

it would not have the reflection cones in still so would it result in just a better flowing clubman and a load of bad welding?
Stokie

cezeta wrote:i have a clubman and a spare expansion (jl3 ) i would have thought that this has been tried before but what would be the expected outcome if i grafted the front of a jl3 to the body of a clubman to make it a fully tapered clubman.

it would not have the reflection cones in still so would it result in just a better flowing clubman and a load of bad welding?

No idea how it'd perform but is it worth wasting a JL3 trying to find out ?
If you want a better performing clubman type pipe I'd suggest you talk to Ralph Saxelby.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I'm not quite sure how to explain this because I don't have the Latin, but a friend of mine has had great success cutting open a Clubman and modifying it so that in effect it acts like an expansion pipe. As I understand it the exhaust gasses just bounce around in the chamber rather than flow straight through, and that limits its effectiveness. Basically he made the front and the rear into proper cones and cut off the length of pipe inside the box. Very effective apparently. Although, he has made his own silencer to go on the end because noise is the trade off.
cezeta

that's the thing with vespa and lambretta standard pipes, the box is a mechanical silencer rather than an expansion.

i spoke to kegra about this and what they have done is crossed a clubman with a krp1 and vw tail pipe trying to achieve the same as me. they reckon it performs like a krp1 but looks like a reverse cone vw clubman.

im still unsure if i want the vw pipe but im going to take a look before i hack into the other pipes as it may be better to sell the others and buy the 400 kegra pipe. the price is based on the value of a krp1, a clubman, a vw tailpipe plus labour. based on this info i dont think the price is bad.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Just a thought, but you could look at the exhaust kits that Scooter Restorations sell. You get all the bits. What you do with them is up to you.
claretandblue

[IMImageG]http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp14 ... ack005.jpg[/IMG]

A couple of pics I've posted before of the Kegra 'hybrid' you mentioned. Very expensive but the best pipe I've had on the old girl since the original exhaust blew it's arse out a couple of years ago. A bit of fettling required to get in to fit and a series two or GAZ type rear shock to give enough extra room for the running boards to be left intact with no cutting.
Performance is good rather than stunning but so much better than any of the three repros I tried before , not bad at all and sounds really good, not too loud but meaty enough, Kegra reckons it gives at least an extra one/two bhp and Scootering wanted to test this out but I couldn't be bothered to strip it off, replace with clubman etc for the dyno as I'd just got it set up nice. Scoot is standard SX 200, 20mm carb so no rocket ship but with this pipe more than holds its own on a blat with other standard machines.
teamsequipe
Main scooter: GP200E Ron Moss Supertuned !

cezeta wrote:i have a clubman and a spare expansion (jl3 ) i would have thought that this has been tried before but what would be the expected outcome if i grafted the front of a jl3 to the body of a clubman to make it a fully tapered clubman.

Have a word with Mark B about his expansion Clubman, seems to work a treat, he may even make you one, if you ask nicely ! ;)
Old Lambrettas Never die ..................... they just go Faster !

Ron Moss says "Supertune it !"
cezeta

teamsequipe wrote:

Have a word with Mark B about his expansion Clubman, seems to work a treat, he may even make you one, if you ask nicely ! ;)
im going to see him next week so i will ask him, he did say he had an ace card up his sleeve.

claretandblue, thanks for the pic, i like it it looks spot on. there seems to be a big demand for alternatives to the ripspeed pipe hanging out of the side anfd this along with the b race pipes are good solutions.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

heres another approach to this....
why not just take a perfectly good expansion chamber (say JL3 or DEVTOUR etc )and just weld on the ugly box shaped bits to make it look more like a std silencer.... :lol:
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
cezeta

that did cross my mind but on one of the b race pipes i have as the tail pipe is towards the front so can be exited to the rear via the normal route.

claretandblues scooter does look good, im not a period drama type but i do like things understated

i cant understand why the clubman has not developed beyond copying the original converted standard ones in all this time, the clubmans are still big sellers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information