Heat Sinks for a cylinder head

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
grimspeed
Main scooter: gp 283 kx

Special X wrote:Lambretta fitted brass exhaust nuts to prevent them seizing onto the steel studs. This was the era of real engineering and most cars were fitted with brass exhaust manifold nuts as well. Removing a Mini exhaust manifold with seized nuts just doesn't bear thinking about :mrgreen:
AMEN to that one !
i have a horrible feeling.things are going to go bang
davidblythe

davidblythe wrote:just had a brainwave or am completely crackers

different to the above but should be a no brainer if i can get the material
have asked a couple of people and the idea hasnt been dismissed out of hand as being completely stupid

found and bought the material, thought brass was expensive hopefully have a sample ready by the end of the week
dirtyhandslopez

The old brass cylinder head trick eh? :)
davidblythe wrote:
davidblythe wrote:just had a brainwave or am completely crackers

different to the above but should be a no brainer if i can get the material
have asked a couple of people and the idea hasnt been dismissed out of hand as being completely stupid

found and bought the material, thought brass was expensive hopefully have a sample ready by the end of the week
That's not going anywhere...
sean brady scooters
Dealer

just "back..tracking" a bit,as to the use of brass exhaust nuts and possibly cylinder head nuts..?

i was always under the impression (having been told from "those in the know")that brass nuts were less prone to loosening....because of their differing heat expansion rates..
and not just used because they do not "rust on"as steel ones do eventually,which actually would be an advantage afterall.....keeping them on tight,and preventing blowing exhaust gaskets .... :lol:

so who knows....?
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
156 D

sean brady scooters wrote:just "back..tracking" a bit,as to the use of brass exhaust nuts and possibly cylinder head nuts..?

i was always under the impression (having been told from "those in the know")that brass nuts were less prone to loosening....because of their differing heat expansion rates..
and not just used because they do not "rust on"as steel ones do eventually,which actually would be an advantage afterall.....keeping them on tight,and preventing blowing exhaust gaskets .... :lol:

so who knows....?
.......Yes, Sean you are correct as always!!....when i was 15 at my college job in 1963, my engineering superiors always said that you use brass nuts on exhaust manifolds because they will expand quicker than the steel pipes so therefore reducing the risk of the gasket to blow......the fact that they did not rust to the steel studs was merely a bonus, but was not the main reason......
Nostalgia is a thing of the past!....
sean brady scooters
Dealer

thanks for that confirmation 156d.... :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information