200 casing ID

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
shocky

bsso78 wrote:Take a photo from the top looking down between the engine mounts at the casing mouth
is this ok Image
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
joespeed

156 D wrote:..........the GT200 crankcase had an extra stud for the exhaust pipe......look and see if it has that, it is usually stripped and there may be a larger stud in it`s place, then you would be 99% sure that it is GT200 .......although it`s number should be 19610160....and not 19610054??...
are you talking about the square block (as broken in the picture)this became larger on later models and was tapped 8mm on the early gt's this block was modified (possibly by lambretta conssesionares)to help hold the exhaust on,
there was never any extra studs around the crankcase side!
regards
joe
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Which was also a feature of all cases thereafter.
156 D

joespeed wrote:
156 D wrote:..........the GT200 crankcase had an extra stud for the exhaust pipe......look and see if it has that, it is usually stripped and there may be a larger stud in it`s place, then you would be 99% sure that it is GT200 .......although it`s number should be 19610160....and not 19610054??...
are you talking about the square block (as broken in the picture)this became larger on later models and was tapped 8mm on the early gt's this block was modified (possibly by lambretta conssesionares)to help hold the exhaust on,
there was never any extra studs around the crankcase side!
regards
joe
....i have been talking to one of my old scooter friend`s of the `60`s and the reason i thought there was an extra stud at the rear holding the tailpipe was because as i said it was always stripped on the "early" GT not "later" GT and SX200...and we used to put a bolt through the hole above the jack hole to act as an extra support , so it looked as though there were two studs closer to one another........however getting back to this square block the early GT200 `63,`64 did not have this block tapped and consequently no extra bracket on the silencer as everything was based on the Series 3 TV175 except anything to do with the cylinder components and gear ratios, clutch springs etc......the later GT200 from about early `65, `66 had that block tapped for a stud, and is proved according to the part`s list with a part number of 19610160........which as you also can see is for the SX200 from `66.......my mates March `65 GT200 had this extra bracket with no exhaust troubles......

......if you look at "bristolmods" part list of extras for only the GT200, you will notice it is dated July 1966, so therefore excluding the early GT200 from this crankcase number and also the extra large stud......this piece of added printed paper refering to only the GT part`s was just stapled to the existing parts list of the Series 3 until the appearance of the SX200 when the part`s for this model were then included in the parts book`s, this is the reason no old parts book mentions GT200....as stated this piece of paper only refers to the GT but does not distinguish the later GT from the earlier GT revolving around the TV175.......

.......this larger stud situation is further proved to have been moved along on the underside of the crankcase to a better position to support the silencer by this advert of the Clubman exhaust support bracket being moved to enable fixing in the new position or for the then new SX200....the earlier position being for the "later" GT200 of `65,`66....

.......the part number of the silencer for the TV175 and the much later SX200 are the same 19918060 although the 175 has no extra bracket, but the SX has the bracket??...........having gone through most literature i can find the crankcase for the "later" GT200 and the SX200 is 19610160 .....but the crankcase without the larger underside stud should in fact be the TV175 and "early"GT200 number of 19710160...
Nostalgia is a thing of the past!....
joespeed

so this is the 8mm threaded hole that we are talking about not an extra crankcas side stud.glad we sorted that out.
so is 'shockys' case a gt or late gt early sx?
regards
joe
156 D

joespeed wrote:so this is the 8mm threaded hole that we are talking about not an extra crankcas side stud.glad we sorted that out.
regards
joe

.......i think you must be forgetting what you read!!......it says in the first two sentences of my last post about the 8mm stud or threaded hole!!...
.....also if you look at "shocky"`s pic. of the underside of the crankcase, it must be a late GT or early SX because of the broken threaded block for silencer support.........if you remember.....the early GT200 `63 `64 did not have this at all threaded........why don`t you do some investigation to try and help someone, then we can all have a look and see if anything new comes up?... :lol: :lol: :lol:
joespeed

156 D wrote:
joespeed wrote:so this is the 8mm threaded hole that we are talking about not an extra crankcas side stud.glad we sorted that out.
regards
joe

.......i think you must be forgetting what you read!!......it says in the first two sentences of my last post about the 8mm stud or threaded hole!!...
.....also if you look at "shocky"`s pic. of the underside of the crankcase, it must be a late GT or early SX because of the broken threaded block for silencer support.........if you remember.....the early GT200 `63 `64 did not have this at all threaded........why don`t you do some investigation to try and help someone, then we can all have a look and see if anything new comes up?... :lol: :lol: :lol:
when you say 'we' areyou refering to scooterist in your area used this extra tail pipe support,or shop/supplier?i have used the hole for the stand rather than a 6mm stud for supportingthe tail pipe,only myself not a dealer ,i thought you had an extra crankcase side stud (so did many others judging by the pm's).maybe you have some old photos of this mod you made in the 60's.
regards
joe
156 D

joespeed wrote:
156 D wrote:
regards
joe

when you say 'we' areyou refering to scooterist in your area used this extra tail pipe support,or shop/supplier?i have used the hole for the stand rather than a 6mm stud for supportingthe tail pipe,only myself not a dealer ,i thought you had an extra crankcase side stud (so did many others judging by the pm's).maybe you have some old photos of this mod you made in the 60's.
regards
joe
......i believe things are getting mixed up!......

........we had few scooter shops in 1964 mainly garages that only sold them....in Medway we were lucky as it was a Mod town about three repair shops sprung up as scooters were going like hot cakes .....the early GT as we all know vibrated like hell and therefore one of the things that suffered was the exhaust brackets braking as they had the same support as the lesser engined Lambrettas....i solved the large one from cracking by brazing it back (the brass does not crack as it is flexible) instead of welding......i worked at the Medway College and in the maintenance shop which housed wood as well as engineering machines so i received a lot of help with things going wrong on my bike......when the tailpipe stud stripped i now remember when talking with one of my mates over Xmas that we used to put a bolt through the hole above the jack hole with an extra clamp made up, so then it looked as though there was an extra stud but in fact there wasn`t........the jack has to be put in it`s hole from behind , between the wheel and crankcase as it levers and stops on the case, so the extra stud in the hole above and in front of the jack hole made no difference to the jack........see pic and arrow pointing to the hole i am on about....

joespeed

156d this is exactly what i used ,
regards
joe
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information