Add On Box - Augusto Unit - Varitronic System

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

As i understand it these are all variations on a theme...the theme being Lambrettas run static ignition timing and these boxes/systems bring a degree of flexibility in terms of variable ignition timing.

I however have never used any of these systems, but am very interested in fitting an Augusto unit to my racer. If i understand correctly, it will help to improve the bottom end & mid range power.

But if anyone out there can give me information on the various systems, their spec/prices/benefits/pitfalls etc i'd be very grateful.....it would be good to get a complete picture of each (and any other) system so that we can make comparison and see which system suits which application/purpose best.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

Dan

I'm using Agusto on my race bike.

certainly theres an improvement on the Dyno, obviously Mallory test day will show the difference in actually riding the thing!

heres a dyno sample before and after....

You can get them from Replay Scooters in Rothwell.

£59.95 I believe
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

I cant see the graphs clearly on my PC.........but it looks like there is an increase in peak BHP also??

What are the figures?

How would the this system differ from the others?
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Adspeed

If Variotronic is good enough for Mr Edmunds............I use the vespa version on the Parma and find it to be excellent so far ;)

Chisels also now stock the Augusto, they were testing it the other day..........
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

I'm on the verge of buying an Agusto unit. Reading a couple of threads on the LCGB they seem to show an improvement as designed lower down the rev range. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of feedback from on the road experience with them, but i can understand the benefits and like the idea. I even fitted an extra stud for one when i made up an electrics mounting plate on the back of my toolbox last year. Pity one unit couldn't be adjusted to suit, so will probably go for the 6000 model.
I'm guessing the variatronic may be superior in operation, but I like the fact that with the Agusto you can keep the "standard" 12v electronic stator and flywheel, which could be handy if a spare was needed miles from home.
Interested to hear any tales of long term use of an Agusto
ArmandTanzarian

I'm tempted to get one for my S2 Monza. That has sod all mid and low range and sixty quid sounds a lot less scary than two hundred and forty for a Varitronic!
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
tony
Main scooter: 90ss

If you are having to buy a complete ignition then the varitronic does need a look at. The charge system alone with ac/dc outputs would be attractive for the road rider. In fact I use one on my vespa at present and use the charge circuit to run all the gauges!
For complete control tho on a race bike a mappable system is better. I run one on my race bike for ten years until its current motor was installed. What I found tho is that careful setting up is required. The dyno is a must really as long as the dyno has a brake and an operator who knows the effect of load on heat in the motor. Setting up with an egt helps big time whatever the system.
Sponsors: Performance Tuning. Ve Uk. Scooter Center Koln. LTH . DRT
davidblythe

dyno graphs of bhp v road speed are a bete noire for me
rossi46

byron wrote:I'm on the verge of buying an Agusto unit. Reading a couple of threads on the LCGB they seem to show an improvement as designed lower down the rev range. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of feedback from on the road experience with them, but i can understand the benefits and like the idea. I even fitted an extra stud for one when i made up an electrics mounting plate on the back of my toolbox last year. Pity one unit couldn't be adjusted to suit, so will probably go for the 6000 model.
I'm guessing the variatronic may be superior in operation, but I like the fact that with the Agusto you can keep the "standard" 12v electronic stator and flywheel, which could be handy if a spare was needed miles from home.
Interested to hear any tales of long term use of an Agusto
Ben running one now for 7 months on my RB well worth the money, before when I was riding the thing it was a bit sluggish and always had to change down to get it to go properly (Franspeed Race pipe) but after fitting it to the bike it transformed it into a bike you could ride round town in 4th gear smoothly, just like you could on the old Franspeed tourer I had on it before, now you can open it up and it will pull like a train.

Daz
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

cheers Daz, good to have some feedback from somebody that has some experience of riding with it and putting on some actual miles :D
I'll get one soon and hopefully be able to add to that discussion.
what model did you go with ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information