Add On Box - Augusto Unit - Varitronic System

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

soulsurfer wrote:Ah, but what if you're hacking it at 80mph and it fails? I know it's not supposed to but it's something else to worry about at high (relatively speaking) speeds, I wouldn't fancy it with timing at 24deg, or am I overreacting :roll:

Any component can fail mate?

Why worry.....??
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
Bufficus

paulmgreen wrote:
soulsurfer wrote:Ah, but what if you're hacking it at 80mph and it fails? I know it's not supposed to but it's something else to worry about at high (relatively speaking) speeds, I wouldn't fancy it with timing at 24deg, or am I overreacting :roll:
Any component can fail mate?

Why worry.....??
I was under the impression that if the Augusto fails it kills the engine and you simply disconnect it and return the red wire from the stator to the CDI. Ok it will be static timed at 25-24 degrees, but that just means you get the tools out and adjust or ride home at 30mph.

I'd much rather have the engine die at 80mph than something else fail. Like a rear hub or an engine mount lug. :evil:
Angry Bloke

I had read that they only work correctly with a Ducati CDI .
Has anyone encountered this ?
rossi46

Been there had one stop working on me at 80 mph on my RB, the engine just stopped instantly !, and I coasted to a stop, swopped round the wires started it up and rode home at around 1/4 throttle, no pinking, too much ignition only kills an engine when it is under load not light throttle.
DJ 240
Dealer

I have used an Augusto since may last year on my bike, it picks up a lot quicker and tends not to lose power when you get to a hill
also you have piece of mind that it will start on your first kick, Replay scooters will also exchange the unit from one to another if they
supply it
noggin1969

Just got my Agusto 7000 unit in the post and will have it set up on the dyno at SES but looking through the paperwork , if the unit fails the engine should cut out as it is fitted between the cdi and stator by plugging the red wire from the stator to the Agusto then from that to the cdi. I'm having the Mikuni jetted at the same time on the dyno, £45 to £100 max can't be bad. :lol:
Has a mind full of useless s**t and isn't afraid to use it !
Dazza
Main scooter: S3 LI Rapido 225

Let me know when you are going Noggin, might just tag along, i have a free dyno session waiting for me, fitting an agusto too so should be able to test that as well.
If it aint broke.........tinker with it.....
RBG

I'm looking at getting one of these for the RB22 Franspeed tourer.
What I've been wondering/thinking is.
The scooter travelling in traffic will travel at say 60mph @ 6000rpm
Now if using the 6000 model the scooter will be running fully retard at say 19degs
However the 7000 model may be at 20 & the 8000 at 21 at the same 6000rpm - 60mph

Even though the scoot will rev through to 8000rpm is it not an advantage to get the scoot fully retarded
at a cruising speed on a road going scooter?

Or am I missing something?
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

RBG wrote:I'm looking at getting one of these for the RB22 Franspeed tourer.
What I've been wondering/thinking is.
The scooter travelling in traffic will travel at say 60mph @ 6000rpm
Now if using the 6000 model the scooter will be running fully retard at say 19degs
However the 7000 model may be at 20 & the 8000 at 21 at the same 6000rpm - 60mph

Even though the scoot will rev through to 8000rpm is it not an advantage to get the scoot fully retarded
at a cruising speed on a road going scooter?

Or am I missing something?
I see what you're saying and thought about this before fitting mine, I went for a 7000 model on my mugello, but it still has the original [rather low] Li 125 Special gearing, so i am revving fairly high [possibly too much?] when riding on A roads etc.
So far [about 200 miles] I am liking the improved response low down.
I did find on fitting it, the instructions say turn the stator fully a/c, if i had done this my idle timing, and so subsequently the final retard figure [if I'm understanding it right] would've been far too high. So I ended up setting it about in the middle. I had had the stator fully c/w [with some enlarging of the slots] to get the timing where I wanted before I got the Agusto. This was on a Scooter Restorations stator.
I'd recommend an Agusto.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information