Add On Box - Augusto Unit - Varitronic System

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
nastro azzurro

It will make it smoother but it wont make it quicker!
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

so what model should I get ? :?
enlarged, matched & smoothed 186 Mugello, with VHSA28 flatslide and Mikeck exhaust. it likes to rev. currently running 15/46 with Li125Special gearing, so quite low geared, but have got pacemaker box [and will replace third with 37 teeth cog], and front sprockets and chains to try 16 or 17.
maybe i should finally get my tacho working properly first, so that I can see what revs I am actually pulling...
noggin1969

I think the 6000,7000,8000 denotes the rpm that the box kicks in at to give optimum timing , so the higher the engine revs to the higher the numbered unit you need. I may be wrong on this though so don't take it as gospel.
Has a mind full of useless s**t and isn't afraid to use it !
T5-190

If anybody is interested I know through my contacts with the race teams I deal with , thats cars and bikes that this company http://www.electrexworld.co.uk make and supply fully mapable, programable cdi/coil units. They make a universal cdi for a 2 stroke that can be altered using a lap top. Website is a bit sketchy but you should get the idea.
T5-190

Note: if you click on STATORS it will open up picture of said cdi units. Strangely the cdi part does not work.
CANbus

So team, does anyone know of these devices actualy achive the variability?
Last edited by CANbus on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11111111 = 0xFF
Bufficus

CANbus wrote:So team, does anyone know of these devices actualy achive the the variability?
I've fitted one to my RB and one to my TS1. Both using a strobe and rev counter. I can see the pointer on the flywheel moving between my timing marks on the maghousing, so I can see the variability in action.

I'm using 7000 units on both. Set at 24 degrees at idle they retard to 18 degress.

Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to test them fully. However, first impressions are encouraging.
jason frost
Dealer

T5-190 wrote:If anybody is interested I know through my contacts with the race teams I deal with , thats cars and bikes that this company http://www.electrexworld.co.uk make and supply fully mapable, programable cdi/coil units. They make a universal cdi for a 2 stroke that can be altered using a lap top. Website is a bit sketchy but you should get the idea.
They make this and the coil from the Varitronic kit will work on an Indain 12volt kit

byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

Bufficus wrote:I'm using 7000 units on both. Set at 24 degrees at idle they retard to 18 degress.
these are the bits I'm still unclear on ~

does the timing stay at 24º BTDC all the way up 7000 revs, and then changes immediately to 18º BTDC from then on to whatever max revs are achieved ? or is the difference more graduated ? I'm guessing the instant switch.

and
if the initial timing was set at say 25º BTDC, would it switch at 7000rpm to 19º BTDC ? or is that always going to be 18º BTDC regardless of base setting.
In other words is the change a fixed number of degrees or is it to a specified point BTDC.

hope my questions are clear ? :?
good thread :)
Wayne Miller
Main scooter: Vespa 50 Special (Rotax Proto)

Its a gradual advance, all of the units 6000, 7000 and 8000 are fully retarded at tick over. They all advance as the revs increase. However they advance at different rates, the 6000 will return to your BTDC setting before the 7000 and 8000. A few more revs and the 7000 returns to its BTDC setting and a few more revs and the 8000 reaches its BTDC setting.
Stay tuned..............
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information