Scooter Loopy John exhaust clamp - too small?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dansuper
Main scooter: 1963 LI 185

Just bought a KBA 42mm clubman and SLJ 'seal tight' exhaust clamp.

The clamp fits over the U bend with a couple of mm to spare, but has to be massively stretched to fit over the outlet of the box. It can't be right as the bolts do not even make through all the way when fitted.

The KBA slotted 'neck' is about 47mm, which fits around the U bend with a couple of mm to spare each side - which I presume is correct.

Anybody else have this issue? I guess the clamp would be too big for a standard pipe, so if it doesn't fit the 42mm KBA, what is it for?

I've asked the supplier to investigate for me, too.

Hmmmm - having just written all of the above, I now have a bad feeling that the pipe may actually be a 48mm - as I had to bend the slots in a little to fit more tightly around the U bend. But the clamp still seems too small. I dunno.

Cheers,

Dan
goldeneye

so what your saying is, you"ve got the wrong pipe on the wrong u-bend, and its all john churchills fault for selling you an exhaust clamp? :roll:
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

goldeneye wrote:so what your saying is, you"ve got the wrong pipe on the wrong u-bend, and its all john churchills fault for selling you an exhaust clamp? :roll:
It's always the dealer's fault isn't it? :frog:
firekdp

goldeneye wrote:so what your saying is, you"ve got the wrong pipe on the wrong u-bend, and its all john churchills fault for selling you an exhaust clamp? :roll:
Why would he blame the bloke that makes the fibreglass panels? :lol: Or do you mean John Madison?
goldeneye

if he can get his exhaust bits mixed up, i"m allowed to get me johns mixed up alright! :D
firekdp

goldeneye wrote:if he can get his exhaust bits mixed up, i"m allowed to get me johns mixed up alright! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
dansuper
Main scooter: 1963 LI 185

LOL - thanks for the 'help'... :roll:

By supplier, I meant 'dealer'. Not manufacturer. I purchased all three items from the same dealer so am just trying to work out which one is 'wrong'.

Not really sure how tight the U bend is meant to be into the pipe, but I'm going to measure everything up again as it may well be a 48mm pipe supplied with a 42mm u bend.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

dansuper wrote:Not really sure how tight the U bend is meant to be into the pipe, but I'm going to measure everything up again as it may well be a 48mm pipe supplied with a 42mm u bend.
you'd know if the box & header were mismatched in that way, be like tom thumb inside annabel chong.

the u-bend should push in fairly easily, but not so it would fall straight out if you held it upside down
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

I too have one of these exhaust clamps, its been on two other 42mm ish exhaust,s and it fitted fine ,in fact its the best ive ever used :D , but it wont fit on my 42mm KBA clubman :x , thier good clamps, it seems the KBA must be slighty on the large size for a 42mm jobby.
ScooterLoopyJohn
Dealer
Main scooter: 1970 GP 195cc A/F s'type

Hi just lately a/f have made there 42mm exhausts out of thicker material this has caused me to make 42 clamps 1 mm bigger on dia. as kba 42mm clubmans are from the same sourse it only follows that they now need the new clamps. my clamps only cover about 1 mm dia change as they are job spacific. return any non fitting clamps and i will mod or replace with suitable replacement ones Merry Xmas John
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information