big block ~ worth the T,T &M ?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

I recently bought a Jet200 engine to build up into a 230/240 ish motor to go in my Li Special. I've started cleaning it up and collecting parts together. I still need big bits like crank and entire top end.
Today I went to coaster's, a 70 mile round trip on a variety of road types, and really enjoyed riding my Mugello 186. It always starts well, is crisp pulling away and is even pretty good on fuel.
I have put the time in setting it up and getting it to run as I want, and it is now rewarding me with some fun. I held it at WOT for several miles on the A11, without fear of any dire consequences.
So I'm thinking maybe I should just stick with what I have and know really well, rather than start all over again and not actually get much better performance... a bit more torque maybe, but it's not like I ride two-up much... And spend my time and money on my current ride and engine; playing with the gearing a bit, upgrade the electronics maybe, there's always something that'll need attention.
It's not even like I have another bike to put it in, so the small block would just sit unloved in the corner, which would be a shame.
On the other hand I do like building engines ... :?

Anybody changed engines in a similar way, and either regretted it, or couldn't ever go back to the smaller cc ?
stockcar

real bad idea, build the new motor and 'lend' me the small block until i get some finances to build an RB20........................i'll look after her, promise
Adspeed

Yeh i doo look back to a previous engine actually.....

I had a GT186 with a Mk4 Taff pipe. Pulled like a train.
Not far from me theres a place called Poole Bank near Otley. Its a massive hill, there were a few of us going up it, various lammy engines TS1s etc.....When we stopped not far from the top everybody was saying how they couldn't keep with me up the hill. While all the TS1s were knocking it down a cog or two I just pulled up the beast.....

Eventually the TS1 blarting about bug got me, GT was sold on ebay (error) yeh its great giving it a load of pillock on the open road, but more often than not I get to somewhere like Sutton Bank (V Big hill :D) and think......hmmmmm that GT engine I had.......

FYI this is taken from the top of Sutton Bank, ya can see for miles, well worth a visit on a good day...

byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

good story Adspeed. thanks. that's what I want to avoid thinking.
maybe I'll put the big block plans on hold for the moment...
Adspeed

PS I don't miss it when I'm flat out getting to these places...... :D
jonny snatchsniffer

i made myself an ironed barrel suzuki 190 with the help of dave websters tuning manual just increased the ex timing a little a 1.2k pk flywheel with plastic fins it was a good ride, 30mm delly 128 main av266 cant remember the rest of thr carberation, pm pipe welded to a fresco downpipe.
and all the time i had a dj200 engine the yam 1 with the rd piston and the windoes welded up, i liked that very much but the issue is do ya wanna go big or small ? it might have been pointed out on this forum that the smallblock lammmy cases have more transfger bits than the 200 cases, sorrt im having trouble wiyhy heed
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information