Mikuni or Dellorto ?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
shocky

corrado wrote:
ArmandTanzarian wrote:On the subject of duty etc...

My Mrs just ordered some material from the States, total cost, around twenty quid. She has just received an invoice from Parcel Farce for another £20. Thinking that a tax rate of 100% was a bit steep, she range customs and excise and they told her that the VAT was £3 and the rest was a "handling fee" charged by Parcel Farce. Cheeky feckers!
You should see some of the items I get charged when importing sea freight... recently got..
UK import handling..£62.50
Import service fee £52.00
Port security fee £3.50
UK customs clearance £45.00
Use of VAT deferment charge £25.00
Terminal charge £37.50.... All on the same invoice..
I think they make the feckers up to amuse themselves. :roll:
nor wishing to pry on your buissness but what persentage did the above represent to the total value
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
jonny snatchsniffer

i can just see it now on the news about the navy stopping some smugglers not with a load of columbian marching powder but a hold full of mikunis.
are they all made in japan or are they subbed out to other countries ?
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

shocky wrote: nor wishing to pry on your buissness but what persentage did the above represent to the total value
That's a typical bill for a sea shipment from Vietnam or India, those costs would apply if the total invoice was for £100 or £100,000, what would vary is the actual freight cost which is based on cubic metres (that's some form of equation between physical size and weight) then there's import duty added (only the freight people could tell you tariff codes etc) then add all those costs onto the cost of the goods and the freight cost and the whole lot is subject to VAT.
Those costs weren't for Mikunis btw (don't think they come from Vietnam or India, they're Mikuni not Casa :lol: though nothing would surprise me).
shocky

what i was getting at was if it were a pro rate percentage say 10% of the cost of goods as my last few bills were anywere from 50 to 100% of the value of the goods
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
corrado
Dealer

shocky wrote:what i was getting at was if it were a pro rate percentage say 10% of the cost of goods as my last few bills were anywere from 50 to 100% of the value of the goods
No it never works at pro-rata, the bigger the order the smaller those set costs become on a pro-rata basis. I know some Viet companies will offer trade prices for £1000 orders but that will cost a small fortune to fly in and if you sea freight them in then you're adding 20% to your cost straight away in those set costs, given that they're around £200. On a £10,000 order then they only work out at 2%. Economies of scale.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

shocky wrote:nor wishing to pry on your buissness but what persentage did the above represent to the total value
VAT is 15%
Import duty approx 4%

That is applied to the cost of goods & shipping fee.

The rest are all flat fees for various types/weight/size of cargo/shipments.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
corrado
Dealer

And 15% VAT is applied to the 4% Duty if I'm correct ............................... the barstewards. :cry:
lockman69

MarkH wrote:bleh - that's all jibberish :)

my method seems to be working quite well - 100% success rate :D

100% success rate?..not any more!......................Bloody typical.....£16.88
(£8.88 vat & £8.00 Parcleforce clearence fee)
mickeyb

ive bought 3 carbs of him and they got thru ok!
J1MS

lockman69 wrote:I want to buy a bigger carb for my stage four 200, what’s the best, Mikuni or Dellorto?

Cheers

I have used most makes of Carbs over the years, even had a Wal Phillips fuel injector at one time. Then monoblock dellortos, then Amal Mk2's and Concentric dellorto's, Now I use a flat slide dellorto' 32mm. At the time each of these were supposed to be the best that money could buy, but now most of these would be a poor choice. I still use the flat slide dellorto as I have built up a little knowledge of them and a stock of spare parts, but now I think the Mikuni is probably the best your money will buy. As the data base for these is growing all the time, so its less guess work and more proven fact what with Dynos giving all the feed back. 10 years ago you would have had to make an educated guess, now just click on a forum like this one and someone will have settings close to what you need IMO... "MIKUNI"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information