splitting badge pins..

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sydduckett

Whats the best way to force open the back of the lambretta badge that goes on the legsheilds. I have copies from ting tong land and the opening looks needle like tiny. Is there a tool to do this and any knack to doing it? Dont want it to rattle, but it doesnt look as though the back would flaten out eneough to fill all of the hole...

Ta
Sef
sean brady scooters
Dealer

i actually have a special tool for these..........its a copy i made myself from an original ...
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

Rich Presley advertises the tool but has none in stock at the moment.

http://www.richpresley.co.uk/tools-27-c.asp
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
adriang

Not exactly a direct answer, but I remember this on the LCGB site ages ago, and somebody came up with the advice not to split open the pin, but to use a blob of clear bathroom silicone sealant on the pin so it can be removed if needed.

BTW, I've got a viet GP225 badge on mine, it's not lasted very well at all!
sydduckett

Rog, thats looks just the job but a score with postage is a tad to much. Thought it would be about £10 tops... :?

Anybody wanna do a lend?..... :D The bathroom sealer may not be a bad idea as have a spare wheel that hides the back anyway...

sef
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Done all mine with a club hammer with some protective tape on the head, on the good side and a ball pien hammer to pien the rivet over, a dab of paint to cover up. I have even removed them by carefully squashing the riveted head back with a sharp pair of side cutters and refitted again, after having to respray some damaged paintwork.
claretandblue

Sef,
I've got one of those pin tools as on the Rich Presley site and your welcome to use it, I'm not too far from you so pm me a phone no. if you want to use it. Personally I think they are clumsy to use and prefer to fix pins with a dab of JB weld or similar,
sydduckett

Claret and Blue, im about 2 weeks or so away from puting the badges on...would be good if i could borrow yours but as you seem to prefer another method im wondering if thats the way to go. Waht is JB and how did you go about it?

Sef

Good win wednesday night, bring on the toffees.... :bouncyeng:
mark

i use superglue gel its brilliant
claretandblue

sydduckett wrote:Claret and Blue, im about 2 weeks or so away from puting the badges on...would be good if i could borrow yours but as you seem to prefer another method im wondering if thats the way to go. Waht is JB and how did you go about it?

Sef

Good win wednesday night, bring on the toffees.... :bouncyeng:

Yeah, was a good win, I was there and will be again on Sunday with fingers crossed as usual,
anyway, JB weld is just an epoxy mush of which there are many brands, bought it in local DIY shop fairly cheap, it sets solid and is also good for repairing threads in headset units etc as when set you can drill and tap for new threads. Offer the badges up to the legshields, gently tap the pins flat ( another pair of hands is useful if available) until badge is fairly tightly fixed, then apply JB weld to the pin ends carefull not to use too much and form small dome over the pins and the holes they poke through. When dry after at least a day or so , the domes can if needed be emery-ed down with fine paper and then painted with a dab of paint to match your shields, Obviously the more care taken the neater the job. The previous suggestion of super glue is I reckon a good 'un and certainly a lot less fiddly, you could use both methods as the JB weld would stop any loosening as time passes. Only down side is if you have to remove for any reason in which case a bit of cosmetic work would have to be done.You are welcome to come over and see the result I got on my GP, I'm in Benfleet.
The tool is available to you if want to go that route but if you do then you will definately need a mate to help you, the weight of the thing makes if difficult to use by yourself.
Hope all this helpful.
Cheers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information