clutch cable

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mickeyb

Mine snapped last nite,threaded new cable through BUT HOW DA F**K DO U GET IT TO TIGHTEN UP AND SPRING BACK AGAIN(CLUTCH ARM)???...lost patience 2nite,there must a way to put these on properly,i know im doing sumthing wrong but what?
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

I'm not sure where yourt stuck here Mickey. Please don't think I'm being patronizing if you already know this. Here's how I do it

I have the clutch adjuster below half way so you've got plenty of adjustment to tighten up or loosen the clutch cable.
If you've got the new inner threaded through, put a spanner (I think it's 21mm) over the clutch arm, like in the pcture below. Rotate the arm right til it's at right angles to the casing. Have your trunnion on the cable and tighten it up. You should have a couple of mm play in the lever on the headset.

Please forgive me if you already know this. Or if someone does this a better way. :oops:
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

I do a very similar thing, but I fit the trunnion (well, it's a nipple really, isn't it?) to the cable first. It is pretty easy to lay the inner clutch cable over the top for the clutch arm, take up the slack on the arm using a spare hand, and position the nipple in roughly the right place before tightening it onto the cable. Then fit the cable into the fingers of the clutch arm using the spanner and adjust the adjuster to suit. My method varies only slightly from Bilko's approach, in that you don't have to use the spanner on the clutch arm while you are tightening the nipple.

I have also cut off part of the top finger on the end of the clutch arm, as this helps me fit and remove cable
Martin
red
Main scooter: Scomadi TL 250 (Ltd Ed No.3)

Bilko wrote:I'm not sure where yourt stuck here Mickey. Please don't think I'm being patronizing if you already know this. Here's how I do it

I have the clutch adjuster below half way so you've got plenty of adjustment to tighten up or loosen the clutch cable.
If you've got the new inner threaded through, put a spanner (I think it's 21mm) over the clutch arm, like in the pcture below. Rotate the arm right til it's at right angles to the casing. Have your trunnion on the cable and tighten it up. You should have a couple of mm play in the lever on the headset.

Please forgive me if you already know this. Or if someone does this a better way. :oops:
'bout time you gave that engine case a clean :D
I do not try to explain why I ride Lambrettas,
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary,
For those who don't, no explantion is possible.
Bilko

That's grime matured to it's best Red. 45 year old grime. I can't get rid of that!
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
red
Main scooter: Scomadi TL 250 (Ltd Ed No.3)

Bilko wrote:That's grime matured to it's best Red. 45 year old grime. I can't get rid of that!
Bet I could!!!!
I do not try to explain why I ride Lambrettas,
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary,
For those who don't, no explantion is possible.
Skar

red wrote: Bet I could!!!!
Gonna burn it off? :mrgreen:

soz...

:bouncyeng:
Bilko

Skar wrote:
red wrote: Bet I could!!!!
Gonna burn it off? :mrgreen:

soz...

:bouncyeng: