JL1 V's JL3

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Arfur
Playstation gamer tag: hulkascooby

Whats the best for a touring setup on a Rapido 250?
Let battle commence 8-)
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

I suggest start here

http://scooterotica.org/tempforum/viewt ... f=5&t=2496

For basic info
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
mawso

I've wondered the same too, to why the JL1 isn't recommended more often (or at all), is it just a fancy looking Clubman? What is a JL1 best suited to then, as that link is great for identification, but doesn't really say alot about them.

The link says the JL2 is a fast tourer...Kegra says the KRP2 will out rev the JL4

JL's site isn't that comprehensive, Sticky's manual doesn't give a definitive answer, SIP site has their own write up on each.

What set up is best suited to a JL1 & a JL2 ? I thought that these were Just Kegra's interpratation of Touring and Race.
CPH Lambretta
Main scooter: DL 150 1970

Take a look at Scootering Issues 218 & 219 from 5 years ago most of the pipes were dynoed first on a Honda 205 (issue 218) then on a TS1 (issue 219)
From the look of the dyno results on a piston ported motor the JL3 was better than the JL1 alround. The JL 2 was very revvy with no torque and the JL 4 had everything the JL3 had ,just with more revs and more torque.
Slow is the new fast!
mawso

Nice one. I'll have those issues tucked away somewhere, I'll dig them out for a read.
I do wanna know why if the 3 and 4 are so good; they keep on making the 1 & 2 if no one wants them?

I've a winpep graph from Chisel showing RS190, TMX32, AF light flywheel, JL2.
It has a lovely progressive curve and no lag or slump torque wise. It revs onto 9,500 rpm and still holds around 16 bhp there.

Does anyone on here actually have a JL1 or JL2 on a bike at the moment and if they have, what do they like about them?
If no one has bought them (JL1 & JL2) or you have and they're hung up in the garage, then they both seem like expensive mistakes, especially as a new JL2 is over £270.00

As a point of interest I bought my 1st JL2 approx 5 years ago on the basis it was the link between the JL3 and JL4...a fast tourer or road/race. When in point of fact if you ask Kegra, they'll tell you it was their track pipe. A version of which helped the Kursaal flyer sprinter acheive 130mph+

Anyway...didn't that Scootering article say Swifts were ace pipes...but no longer available? I've one stuck in the back of a lockup and might resurrect that for use.

It's got to boil down to dealer preference at the end of the day, I know a young lad from Harrogate who was advised by 3 different dealers to put 3 different pipes onto his standard PX125.
mawso

So as not to hijack this thread completely...I would bet the JL1 is excellent on the Rapido 250.
I sold a Rapido (race) 250 to a friend who runs a Scorpion on his and it's shite, far too revvy...he gets lost on hills and then catches up again on the flats.

AF recommend on their site a low revving pipe for the 250, as you prob know already. But I'm not sure whether the same pipe will give the same benefits to the race and the classic (which isn't mentioned at all on their website).

I don't know him - Foxy. But I've seen him "humming" past on his 250 and he has a 44mm RS Clubman on his. I've read his LCGB posts and he seems well pleased with it. I can vouch for this pipe as I've got one on a long rodded RS190 and it's 2 pipes in one for me. Low revs it pulls in every gear and builds the power slowly and seems to make the gears longer. High revs and screams through the powerband and sounds like any other expansion. It looks pretty boring though...doesn't even have a flared tailpipe like AF clubmans.
DaveInPortland

I have a JL1 on a Rapido225, PHBH28, 16/47 primaries with an Li150 gearbox. I have also had a 44mm and a PM25 on this same engine. The JL1 has more low end torque than the PM25 with a mild power "hit" picking up at about 4700 RPM as compared to the PM25 which had poor low rev power and a strong hit at a higher rev point. The JL1 sustains through high revs and holds power well. The 44mm had similar low rev power but not the hit. Top speeds did not differ. The JL1 fit perfectly while the PM25 took some fettling.

Some say the JL1 is nothing more than a noisy 44mm but I disagree.
Dave
Lucky b@5t@rds SC, Portland, Oregon, USA
Lambretta Club USA
Arfur
Playstation gamer tag: hulkascooby

Cheers guys I've been recommended a JL3 or Deve tour for the 250 the stock kit will be set up for a fast touring so I guess the JL3 or deve tour will suit best.
It's a lot of money on an exhuast that may not deliver what I want.
So want to get it right 1st time not 3rd....4th... etc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information