TV175 S2 - Breathing

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I know Innocenti dabbled with a 23mm carb for the S2 and I'm sure I've read somewhere that it wasn't very successful. I also think it's correct to say that they used a 21mm carb on later S2's. My question is did they also go back to using the LI airbox and scoop? I only ask because that's what my 1960 S2 has fitted, and I'd swear that the airbox is original.
Nic

No, is the short answer. The airbox and scoop remained the same: large neck and opened-up scoop.
Doom Patrol

That's interesting. It looks as if somewhere along the line the airbox might have been swapped. It was the the pale TV blue that threw me. Did the LI use the same TV blue for the internals?
Arch_Stanton

Tv2 with 23mm carb = open air scoop and large necked filter box (same as fitted to Series1 LI 150s)

Tv2 with 21mm carb = air scoop with restricted slot and small necked filter box (same as Series2 Lis)

I've had both and didn't seem to notice any difference in power between them, although the 21mm seemed to drink less fuel.
Doom Patrol

Well I never. It is right after all then. :D I did wonder. I experimented with a bit of Nitromors on the scoop and sure enough it's TV blue under the emulsion. :D
eadmr04

Some info if you do want to run a 23mm. A mate of mine tried to run his new 175 kit with a 23mm through the restricted scoop and smaller box and just couldn't get it to work. He realised he should have the different scoop and bigger box, got hold of one and fitted, now runs like a dream. Deffinitely makes a difference. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information