Ancillotti to JL3 pipe change - Re-Jet Warning!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ArmandTanzarian

I've just fitted a JL3 curly pipe to my jet 200 after the ancillotti box pipe fell to bits.

I'm running a Mikuni TM24 with a foam filter. To be on the safe side I upjetted from a 165 to a 170 (the 165 has been in all year and has got me to several runs without incident). A quick blast and it seemed ok and so I went to a long, steep hill to see how it coped going fast under load. VERY BADLY! It pinked like a b@5t@rd and very nearly seized up. I just caught it in time.

I eventually got up to a 190 main jet and its still pinking a little bit. I would go higher but I've run out of jets (more now on order up to a 210).

So beware, I know a couple of people were talking about getting one of these pipes. Don't just slap it on. It will need a major re-jet or it will all go BANG! :shock:
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
J1MS

ArmandTanzarian wrote:I've just fitted a JL3 curly pipe to my jet 200 after the ancillotti box pipe fell to bits.

I'm running a Mikuni TM24 with a foam filter. To be on the safe side I upjetted from a 165 to a 170 (the 165 has been in all year and has got me to several runs without incident). A quick blast and it seemed ok and so I went to a long, steep hill to see how it coped going fast under load. VERY BADLY! It pinked like a b@5t@rd and very nearly seized up. I just caught it in time.

I eventually got up to a 190 main jet and its still pinking a little bit. I would go higher but I've run out of jets (more now on order up to a 210).

So beware, I know a couple of people were talking about getting one of these pipes. Don't just slap it on. It will need a major re-jet or it will all go BANG! :shock:
I am at the moment re-porting a barrel to run with a JL3 Curly pipe... its a Honda 205 barrel I will try to put the jetting details on when its done... The jetting before and after... If its of any use...
ArmandTanzarian

The barrel is an Indian one that has had some work done on it and the piston skirt has been cut but I can't believe how much more it now needs. I even wondered if the carb rubber had split but it all seems fine.

If a 200 main jet doesn't do the job I'm not sure what to do as I think if it goes any bigger it will become prone to bogging at lower revs and it might be a bugger to start when warm. Its already beginning to hint at it. Maybe a B9ES rather than a B8ES plug will help a bit.
Dimitrios_231

Rapido Classic 225
TM 24
MBD remote filter
JL 3 Curly

main 185
pilot 22.5
5n13
2nd clip

NGK B9ES

Feels rich.

Will do a full throttle plug chop soon and will report back.
ArmandTanzarian

The 190 felt a tiny bit rich to me but flat out up a mile long hill there was just a hint of pinking. The timing was set with a strobe.

I guess that the JL3 is pulling the gases through far more efficiently than the box pipe and so needs more fuel but it does seem to be quite a big step up from my original jetting and slightly higher than what other people are using.

I thought I might have an air leak but I cant find anything.
Dimitrios_231

Dimitrios_231 wrote:Rapido Classic 225
TM 24
MBD remote filter
JL 3 Curly

main 185
pilot 22.5
5n13
2nd clip

NGK B9ES

Feels rich.

Will do a full throttle plug chop soon and will report back.
Changed from 185 main, to 200 main.

Plug chop showed that I'm still weak,will go to 220.If it is rich,will drop down to 210.

Pilot jet is rich,I'm waiting for a 20,as the 17.5 that I have might be lean.

Will update...
Dimitrios_231

220 main seems fine.

Now I have to sort out pilot and needle,
look here
http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3608
ArmandTanzarian

I fitted a 195 to mine last night and went for a test drive. About five miles from home the engine suddenly became very loud, then stopped. I pulled over and there's no compression and a hissing noise when I kick it over. I'm hoping that its just the head gasket. If it is, that would explain why I needed to go so rich on the mixture.

Here's hoping for an easy and inexpensive fix. I'm supposed to be driving to the SHED rally this weekend.
Dimitrios_231

What pilot,
needle,
clip position,

do you have?
cezeta

just to compare muggy 225 tm24 b-race curley

main 220 pilot 20 needle top clip sn13 running through a cam lam breath easy or whatever they are called, the filter and rubber thats intended for the tmx35
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information