Mugello 225 or Casa 210?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

MEC EUR "race" crank is easily good enough for up to 18bhp. I'd even venture to say it's the best crank on the market if fitted with a yam rod and good bearings.
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

cezeta, what makes you say the RT220 kit is the best, have you got one, i dont think they,v been sold in any numbers yet [credit crunch and all that] in fact i dont know anybody thats got one :o , if they were the same price or just abit dearer than muggys iam sure they,d sell like hot cakes, but they,r nearly twice the price and so theres very few on the road and therfore un tested in the real world.
cezeta

i base my views largely on prejudice and bigotry.

however i quite like these facts too:

recessed head so eliminating head gasket failure, possibly one of the biggest causes of holed pistons

additional head bolts, as above.

additional exhaust bolts illuminating the risk of a holed piston caused by a leaking manifold

made with thicker materials giving better cooling

forged wiseco type piston, arguably the best piston there is for a lambretta

british nikasil lining

tried and tested porting layout developed on a dyno and on the road

100% finished so you dont need to take it to another tuner to fix it

you have the choice of being more specific about your tune, stroke of crank and carb ect before its plated so you save the risk of damage.

designed to provide ts1 power with diesel engine torque in the rev range that is used on the road

ive built honda and rapido engines based on the same type of mb porting and finish and have been impressed with reliability fuel economy power and driveability.

i just had a mbd race tour ts1 put together for me by another tuner due to my work load and lack of free time and he raved about the quality and recommended i binned my diy mugello and invested in the race tour piston ported 220 kit as it gave exactly what i wanted from a kit

my last race tour ts1 did 14000 mainly motorway miles without a single problem and would have been still going if i wasnt a lazy assed git and re torqued the head :?

i have had a 64 mm alpha crank and rt kit on hold for the past six months but due to general skintness i have had to put it to one side.

in contrast, i have had tuned iron barrels with kawasaki conversions ect and was not impressed.

i have a mugello 225 at the moment and it managed 12bhp and struggles to keep up with standard p ranges. the quality was the same as an indian ebay barrel but for 2/3 of the price of a rt kit. by the time i get it corrected i could have bought the rt kit.

the rapido is good but i prefer a nikasil barrel as they do not wear.

the casa kit is good quality but does not have the power output of the rt or rapido

i dont include the ts1 and rbs in the comparison as they are completely different animals.

as i say, based on my own opinion not a qa system. but believe me i regret buying many things and despite wondering if it can be done cheaper the mbd stuff is the nearest thing to being perfect that i have found.

others may disagree, but thats the beauty of forums, you get so many views on things.
Supereibar

cezeta wrote:i base my views largely on prejudice and bigotry.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

cezeta, i,am not disputing the quailty of the materials, the design or the workmanship thats gone into the kit, but untill thier on the road in sufficent numbers and with enough trouble free miles under thier belts, i dont see how you can claim thier the best . If these kits had been brought out 5 years ago things may have been different, unfortunatly the scootering world is awash with Muggelo,s [which seem to last for ever because of thier low state of tune, i know i,ve had one for about 4 years and its still going :shock: ], Rappido,s, TS1s and now the full range of RBs, its going to be hard to sell enough to form a resonable opinion. We had a simular thing when the RBs came out, but in reverse. People slagging them off when they had,nt even seen one never mind got one, my RBs done 3,500 trouble free miles now :D , that,ll be the kiss of death :lol: , hope you can see where i,am coming from, regards.
Ian Hepworth

eibargum wrote:cezeta, i,am not disputing the quailty of the materials, the design or the workmanship thats gone into the kit, but untill thier on the road in sufficent numbers and with enough trouble free miles under thier belts, i dont see how you can claim thier the best . If these kits had been brought out 5 years ago things may have been different, unfortunatly the scootering world is awash with Muggelo,s [which seem to last for ever because of thier low state of tune, i know i,ve had one for about 4 years and its still going :shock: ], Rappido,s, TS1s and now the full range of RBs, its going to be hard to sell enough to form a resonable opinion. We had a simular thing when the RBs came out, but in reverse. People slagging them off when they had,nt even seen one never mind got one, my RBs done 3,500 trouble free miles now :D , that,ll be the kiss of death :lol: , hope you can see where i,am coming from, regards.
We are selling several a week, which we are happy with.
Most of the people we are selling them to are out clocking up the miles week in week out rather than sat in front of a computer.
Darrell Milnes did 720 miles in 19 hours on his 190 at the recent ACU road rally.
cezeta

i m not claiming anything. its just my opinion.

the bottom line is that there is nothing to go wrong, its based on capturing all of the improvements from the last 50 years and putting it on one kit.

there are enough out there for a scare mongering story to come out but the only thing so far is the price which i agree is disappointing but thats life :( you cant expect a british made piece of kit to compete with a kit made in southern or eastern europe or timbucktoo. and the fact that ive heard nothing bad about them and that they are the latest thing does not put me off.

the choices are there on a plate for anyone to choose. dont listen to my opinion, its my desires you are hearing not market research.

casa= 12bhp £400 aprox, new and untested designed as a reliable upgrade to the standard barrel, quality looks good and i think it will be a good kit if power is not what you are after. http://www.casalambrettauk.com/commerce ... ts_id=3470

mugello= 12bhp £400 with a 58 stroke more with a 60 stroke, been around for a while. most people are not 100% happy but they seem reliable. i would have the casa for the same money if 12bhp was what im after

rapido= 16bhp £200 everyone has them and the seem reliable apart from piston clearance which you can asked to be checked on ordering. they can be ceramic lined for the price of a piston which will stop the wear. I would get one from http://www.replayscooters.com/scooterdetails.aspx?id=35 if i was to go down this road. or jb tuning if thats where you are closer to.

rt= 16-20 bhp depending on set up £500+ depending on spec. recessed head, forged piston, proven porting and high quality control and only £100 ish pound more than the 12bhp mugello thats going to cost me a fortune to correct???? http://www.lambrettaspares.com/pages/sparepart.php

its a no brainer really. if you want 16bhp plus then its the rapido or the rt220....why spend £400 then another £250 getting the kit to work but still end up with an old fashioned kit that the head will leak ect when EVERYTHING is done for you out of the box with ALL of the mods that we all should ideally be looking for.

or if you want to just keep your sx/tv cool and reliable then the mugello or casa

see teamequips experience on the lcgb with his, he is getting a 250cc version now i hear, it will be him flying past you on the motorway doing 75mph at 5000rpm :frog: and me you pass on my £1500 12bhp mugello swearing my head off in my helmet :(

my latest bad purchase was a clip in slave cylinder as it was the cheeper option than the mbd threaded slave for the original disc.......thats another item in the bin and back I go to the beuro de change to get more cash changed into mbd Yorkshire rubles to get them to do the job properly......when will i learn :roll:
Train Driver

Come on Ian i think cezeta deserves a free kit or a huge discount for talking up marks kit,
AGAIN ;) ;)
I wish he wouldn't as i am thinking of upgrading from my rapido and i don't have any problems :)
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
Supereibar

Hey Ian.. you know that lad in Spain that speaks very highly of your products as well...er.. yes, his name is Jaime... you know him (oh boy I fear the answer already...)
cezeta

im not realy talking it up. its simple maths.

mugello kit £400 mec crank £110 another mec crank in 60mm because the 58 will not run it properly £175 packer plate and recessed head inc matching and finishing £250

Mugello has or will have cost £935.... :cry:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information