ON THE ROAD REPAIR TIPS (VARIOUS)

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Supereibar

Please please please could you change the title of the topic to: ON THE ROAD REPAIR BODGES (VARIOUS) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Supereibar

Ok... Now my turn of bodging.

1-LOST GEAR SELECTOR CONNECTING ROD SEEGER RING.
This is the last one used in Sicily to get from Catania to Siracusa (actually still is mounted on the engine). I was about to get on the motorway in 4th gear when the fourth gear just wouldnt switch to any other gear. What I did is just cut a section of one of the left over gear cables, and took a thin wired. I bend it in the shape of a long U and got the open end with some vice grips. Grabbed the end of the gear selector with the tie rod already on it, and started twisting the vice grips. Done. As said above. The bodge still is on my scoot.

2-BROKEN STANDARD EXHAUST. SEPARATION OF BOX FROM WELDED TOP ARM WHERE THE TWO STUDS JOIN.
This happened to me going to work. I just notticed that the box started rattling against the tarmac. What I did was grab an old gear cable (again) and tied the box to the rear runner board. Got me home to fix the problem.

3-BROKEN TANK STRAP.
Piece of plastic zip ties will work just fine just one connected with the other. I think I needed 5 small ones to do the job.

4-HOLE IN FUEL LINE.
If you have no available fuel line, ELECTRICAL BLACK TAPE will work fine for a while. You will be able to do a good 50 miles.
dunf

jeez....some mad repairs here already.

Trying as ever to be helpful, I can recommend in the absence of grease, using hair wax in an HT coil to prevent water ingress and shorting out. Try to make sure its not her expensive VO5 one if you want spoken to again soon ;) (A chapstick also works)

I've also used a thin strip of bark from a twig to tie a throttle linkage back together after the bolt fell out.

My mate 'made' a woodruff key out of his floor runner with a file and pliers when the real one sheared. Got him another 300m to rally.

Another mate also used my big ring spanner as a rear 'shock' when the original snapped.......from Hull to Mersea!
PJF

Hopefully you can see the photo if i've done it right!! The bodge was done on the way to the Euro in Germany by Woody from the Lambretta Club of Scotland. The threaded part of his petrol tank split from the tank so he got a plastic petrol can bungeyed it to his seat and made a hole in the can, pushed a biro into the hole and connected his petrol pipe to the biro!! It got him to Germany and all the way home!!
Attachments
008.jpg
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

PJF wrote:Hopefully you can see the photo if i've done it right!! The bodge was done on the way to the Euro in Germany by Woody from the Lambretta Club of Scotland. The threaded part of his petrol tank split from the tank so he got a plastic petrol can bungeyed it to his seat and made a hole in the can, pushed a biro into the hole and connected his petrol pipe to the biro!! It got him to Germany and all the way home!!
I like that a lot.

Almost like one of those Tracheotomy ops!
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
Soulpunk

in case the electrics break down or the bulbs blow...
another tip, -very useful recently.
was happy to have my little 2 led bicycle lamps in my backpack.

for touring, get a cheap small led bicycle lamp kit.
the front lamp, (best one with head strap) is needed anyway as a small lamp for little repairs / plug/cable-change at night. can be fixed on the headset. the little rear lamp can be mounted at the scooters back ( over rearlight / rearcarrier).

good to drive another 20 miles slowly...
goldeneye

chewing gum on the spanner to get the nut back on a vespa main exhaust bolt, very fiddly!......... crisp packet in a vespa selector box to jam it in fourth after the selector arm snapped..... bump start it down a hill though! then ride the clutch at junctions, or stall, and start again! bathroom silicon used for a lammy rear hub oil seal, and dry the oil soaked brake shoes out over a camping stove, or boil them in a pan on the stove....... snapped clutch lever on a lammy, two washers off your chaincase side either side of the snap,, a small tie wrap, and youve just enough to pull away ... drags a bit though. blown drive side oil seal? stop every once in a while to clean your plug, and fill up gearbox with two stroke........ poor mans autolube! sticks and gaffer tape to hold a smashed headset together after a crash, got there and back on it. a stolen washing line, paisley scarves, bungees, rope off a wagon in a lay-by, all used for tow ropes. p155 in you gilera runner coolant tank if its over heating. credit cards cut up for reed petals........ it"s endless...! :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information