Loss of tickover and poor starting,help please.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ove

Tickover was fine before but now can`t get it to tickover.
On way home from work this morning (35miles) coming up to final roundabout,scooter seemed to bog down. Was boggy pulling away. kept revs high so not to cut out, Once home stopped and it cut out. Couldn`t start it,stripped carb and gave it a quick clean,it then started but no tickover. Tried to start again,no go :( If i take airfilter off it will start but no tickover.
I can`t see any visible leaks,carb manifold,exhaust or head? will double check later.
Scooter is Li150 mugello 186,42mm clubman,28pbhb carb.
As i said it has been running fine.
Help please as Mersea is calling.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Oil seals blown?

Check to see if any oil is dripping from mag housing or behined stator plate.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
ove

Cheers Drunkmunkey6969
Mag seems to be oil free,will pull flywheel off later(tools round me mates agian :x ) and check behind stator plate.
Also forgot to say i filled up tank just after leaving work and used me mates oil,which he uses all the time and says is semi-synthetic. I use fully synthetic so i put 4% in tank. Could this be a problem?
Crap fuel or mates crap oil?
Any more help please.
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

I would tend to go with some kind of fuel starvation on idle jet (blocked) especially if the engine will rev freely when throttle open............Just my thoughts
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
ove

checked mag seals and not blown,cleaned carb and seems ok, re-torqued head nuts slight slackness, about 2lb if that. Now emptied tank and will get some fresh fuel with my 2 stroke and see how we get on.
ove

Well it starts,but won`t tick over at previous settings.I can get it to tick over by adjusting the cable. It always was on the rich side at tick over so i shall order a leaner pilot jet.
I have a nagging feeling it could be worse than a jetting problem, what would the signs of a piston ring failure be?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

if you've got a ring breaking up/ broken up, you would hear it

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
ove

bristolmod wrote:if you've got a ring breaking up/ broken up, you would hear it

Chris
cheer chris
Would it be easy to spot the noise,as no obvious sounds coming from barrel. Also wouldn`t it run the same at all throttle settings?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Generally if a ring does fail, then it will do a lot of damage to the piston, head and barrel. You would certainly hear the noise.

It may be feasable that a ring could fail and parts of it be immediately spat out via the exhaust port, thus resulting in some loss of compression but with no "noise"- having said that IMO its very unlikely to happen that way.

Could possibly be a "stuck" ring in its groove causinl loss of compression and lack of power.

Whats the exhaust like? Are you sure its clear and not blocked?

TBH doesn't sound like a top end problem, but more carb related, but I fear a strip down will be needed to find out.

Let us know

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
soullad
Dealer

ove wrote:Well it starts,but won`t tick over at previous settings.I can get it to tick over by adjusting the cable. It always was on the rich side at tick over so i shall order a leaner pilot jet.
I have a nagging feeling it could be worse than a jetting problem, what would the signs of a piston ring failure be?
Poor starting, if at all - poor compression - crap tick over- alot of unburnt fuel / oil around end can / exhaust - lack of torque, noticeable when revving hard etc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information