Who’s had one twist?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
lockman69

Having just had my AF Race Crank twist on my TS1 after less than 2000 miles I thought it might be of interest to everyone to gauge how good or bad the range of available cranks are.

So what cranks have you twisted?
How many miles did it last?
How much BHP and RPM was it subjected to?

Standard TS1
7500rpm
AF 58mm Race Crank
Twisted in less than 2000 miles
J1MS

Taffspeeds crank is now twistd and away being repared I have a MEC one that is no longer straight and several others of varying makes that are out of line some are from standard engines the Taffy is out of my TV TS1 which is only around Twenty HP The MEC crank was in my spare engine but I think rider abuse helped this one twist 4th to 2nd at speed then a little more vibes after this. The Taffy crank had done over 12000 miles before I started getting a little vibe off the engine now have a Taffy built Tino Crank in it but the original one will go back in soon as it's far smoother at, or just below cruising speeds
Dell Oughta

58mm AF Race Crank (also had fitted an MB lightened flywheel)
Imola Kit
500 Miles

Mike
Arfur
Playstation gamer tag: hulkascooby

58mm AF Race Crank
Mugello
8000 rpm
destroyed big end bearing
Less than 500 miles
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Why is it that I keep reading of a certain same supplier's cranks twisting on all forums? Isn't it about time they did something about it? Why should people have to keep sending these cranks back, involving wrapping and posting, stripping down of their recently built engines and being off the road till the crank comes back or is replaced? It really is pi55 poor service, even if they do replace or fix the cranks.

"Never heard of that happening before" springs to mind, and some posters have it as their pi55 taking logo. :shock: I've read enough about this lot to convince me never to buy a crank off them.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
lambro63
Main scooter: series 2 TS1

ok i have read about the twisting.....so which way do you turn to find a crank that will suit a 22bhp ts1 touring machine
regards
peter
regards
big pete lambro63 (spiderman)
yam-lam
Main scooter: serveta 125li & t5

lambro63 wrote:ok i have read about the twisting.....so which way do you turn to find a crank that will suit a 22bhp ts1 touring machine
regards
peter
I use a alpha crank in my ts1 27 bhp ' done 1000 miles so far no problems
dsc scotty

AF's probably sell more cranks than any other dealer, so there's a lot out there! We only tend to hear about the one's that go wrong and not the ones that have put in thousands of reliable miles. I know of many other well known dealers cranks that have let go within very low mileages but for some reason they don't seem to get as much bad press!
I have just taken a crank AF done for me out of a well used, work/rally TS1. When I asked the owner when was the last time the crank was rebuilt/changed he replied "it hasn't been touched since you put it in in 1996". This motor is also run on mineral oil. Has done John O Groats -Lands end , Germany,Holland, Sweden as well as many national/LCGB rallies and is his daily commute to work due to the fact he has no full car licence. It actually outlasted the TS1 barrel as that had completely worn out and the crank was only replaced when I re-linered his barrel. It was also in very good order considering the age and abuse it's had over the years.
Having used probably every version of AF cranks over the years I can honestly say the only one I had any problems with were the fixed pin ones back in the early nineties which tended to shear pins but these were soon shelved.
So am I the only lucky one out there using AF cranks that don't twist or let go??
Surely not??
Train Driver

Anyone used a Jb tuning crankshaft i hear they do a 60,61 and 62mm,
are their own or modified tino or AF cranks
dirtyhandslopez

It would seem to me welding the crank has to be the way to go. A little chamfer on the pin, a little chamfer on the pin hole so you have somwhere to drop a weld into makes it easier to weld up. Obviously true it before hand and then I would say clamp it tight so it can't go out of true while welding. Have not done one myself yet, but the couple i've had done like that have not twisted(Indian GP crank with a rd 116 rod).
Unkown HP's
Unkown RPM's
That's not going anywhere...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information