Basic s1 tune

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
L4Lambretta

Hi,

I have a Lammy s1 '58 with only 700 miles on the clock. I want to give it some grunt to keep with modern traffic, but can't afford a kit. Here's what 1 have in the garage;

150 barrel
20mm carb
175 head

Can I use a 175 conversion piston with this set up, plus some mild porting?

What else do I need to consider? How can I use the exisitng crank, I know they're shorter than series 2 and 3 ones.

Sorry about the dumb questions, but there's a degree of mechanical ineptitude here,

cheers

L
scooterslag

Hello there, is it the original S1 barrel you've got? if so might be worth looking around for a SX/GP/Special barrel as the porting on the S1 barrel is a bit tiny and will require more hacking work. Crank wise I think your best bet is to pick up a S3 crank along with another mag housing as the bearing/ seal arrangment isn't really suitable. Carb wise you should be fine with the 20mm, as well as the 175 head and piston ( providing its a decent make - IE Vertex, Borgo etc) Couple all these bit's n' bobs with a bigger front sprocket, suitable jetting and a cheap clubman pipe off fleabay and you should have a useable machine which will be ok for modern day road use. All the best Paul :)
The mack daddy on the left!
L4Lambretta

Pual,

thanks for the info. The barrels a s3 jobby. I was hoping there'd be some way of retaining the crank and flywheel -but if needs must, time to bite the bullet.
Many thanks

ta

L
scooterslag

L4Lambretta wrote:Pual,

thanks for the info. The barrels a s3 jobby. I was hoping there'd be some way of retaining the crank and flywheel -but if needs must, time to bite the bullet.
Many thanks

ta

L
Hello again, you should be ok with the flywheel if you buy a SX type crankshaft. Fitting a GP crankshaft would be the best option as its the strongest type available but if you're working to a budget then a SX one will be fine for a mild 175cc tune. Cheers again Paul :)
The mack daddy on the left!
jonny snatchsniffer

get hold of the dave webster tuning manual and do the suzuki 190 conversion its fun to ride, i did it with a 150 barrel but a tv175 barrel would be better
Stokie

I have a Li/SX type crank for sale.
It's straight out of a NOS Spanish motor that had never been in a scooter so it's got Zero miles on it.
Drop me a PM if you're interested.
Supereibar

Remember you will need new studs as the S1 barrel is shorter than the S3 barrel. ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information