Best piston for Ts1 225

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
craze01

I am going to fit an indian crank with rd400 rod over winter and am preparing to get the barrel relined and a new piston.
Whats everyones opinion on the best piston to fit regarding performance / balance and reliability! I dont want to move ring pegs or anything like that! I just want a striaght fit good quality piston.
Diablo
Dealer

May stand corrected on this but by using an RD400 rod you may be limiting yourself to a wiseco which is not necessarily a bad thing. The RD400 rod is 115mm long so rules out Asso or MBDs Racetour piston.(unless you use a hooooge packer)
If you use a RD350 or 250 rod they are 110mm long and means you can use either of the above.
My personal choice is the MB piston. Mainly because it can be used with std or 110mm rods. Its very similar to the wiseco one though which is cheaper.
Like I say someone may be able to confirm this as I may be wrong as I usually use 110mm rods.
Ian Hepworth

MB do "long rod" type pistons to suit 115/116mm rods. Reed type 70mm grade A and B. Cast type 64, 64.5, 70 and 70.5mm.
Supereibar

Ian, is it true that rings on MB pistons need replacing every 3000 miles? Or is it me who has a problem with hearing/understanding?
craze01

So if im using a wiseco piston which bike is it from as it seems thats probs the way im going to go!!
Thanks for the help so far!!!!
Diablo
Dealer

Ian Hepworth wrote:MB do "long rod" type pistons to suit 115/116mm rods. Reed type 70mm grade A and B. Cast type 64, 64.5, 70 and 70.5mm.
Ah yes sorry Ian forgot about those.
Chutney Brownlove

Supereibar wrote:Ian, is it true that rings on MB pistons need replacing every 3000 miles? Or is it me who has a problem with hearing/understanding?
The last MB piston I bought came with Wiseco rings.

I think you are mistaking MB with Rayspeed. The rings Rayspeed supply have been known to be crap.
J1MS

Diablo wrote:May stand corrected on this but by using an RD400 rod you may be limiting yourself to a wiseco which is not necessarily a bad thing. The RD400 rod is 115mm long so rules out Asso or MBDs Racetour piston.(unless you use a hooooge packer)
If you use a RD350 or 250 rod they are 110mm long and means you can use either of the above.
My personal choice is the MB piston. Mainly because it can be used with std or 110mm rods. Its very similar to the wiseco one though which is cheaper.
Like I say someone may be able to confirm this as I may be wrong as I usually use 110mm rods.
As above.
With the added advantage that MB pistons are made for a Lambretta wheras WisecoAre converted to fit
Supereibar

Chutney Brownlove wrote:
Supereibar wrote:Ian, is it true that rings on MB pistons need replacing every 3000 miles? Or is it me who has a problem with hearing/understanding?
The last MB piston I bought came with Wiseco rings.

I think you are mistaking MB with Rayspeed. The rings Rayspeed supply have been known to be crap.
Sure mate, thanks for the note
craze01

So !! Does Anyone know where the wiseco piston comes from ! What bike????
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information