Can this be repaired? ***pictures****

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
vegansydney

I'm neck deep in sympathetic a resto of a '69 GP200. Apart from the legshields the body is straighter than a straight thing :D

Can these be saved? :shock: I've been searching for months locally without luck :cry: for an Italian replacement pair.
Living at the ass end of the planet shipping a replacement set in is currently too cost prohibitive and due to dimensions too big to fit on a plane next time I'm in the EU (side panels and cases in carry on is one thing..legshields.. :oops: )

-anyone on here relocating to Australia anytime soon? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any suggestions welcome THANKS!

Inside:

Outside:

Bridge piece:
lofty

if you are looking to maintain as much italian as possible on the bike then perhaps you could get a set of indian legshields and rather than using them in their entirety, use them to cut out repair sections and have them welded into your damaged legshields..
vegansydney

Unfortunately Indian GP legshield aren't exactly falling off trees here either--none of the dealers sell them so I'd have to order some in from India. (I saw 'few' sets when I was in India a while ago thou --knew I should have tried to fit a few in the suitcase :D )

Basically looking for opinions on how to best repair the ones I've got. Surely someone has fixed leggies worse than these before.

rakki
Main scooter: sx|px|rally×2

I don't know anything about fixing scooter bodywork (or how much that costs) but would good sheet metal worker be able to fix that using only suitable metal plates?
lofty

you could try and get some damaged legshields locally that could be complete trash apart from the bits you want to cut out..

and i doubt you can use filler as the damage is on a bit that is seen from both sides.. to fix them you would need to find a bodyshop that could make and shape some repair sections and let them in.. i would imagine this wont come cheap either as the bits affected have fairly complex curves in them and that kind of time and skill doesnt come cheap..
Supereibar

I take that money is your issue. But I take Time is in your side (as the Rolling Stones said) So this is what I would do. A bit of sheet metal, section cut it, then weld it. I would say that you could section cut it yourself if you can get sheet metal cut to the size. I am sure with a bit of patience and time you can get it just right, then the rest is going to a crafty feller in your area, some cool guy that can weld metal like you put butter in your mornin'toast. I am sure that in Aussie land there are loads of crafty people (where did Mad Max came from then?)
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

A mate of mine had the same problem with a set of Model 'C' legshields where replacement is/wasn't possible so he got a retired panel beater (apprentice trained) to clean prep and 'lead fill' the holes (it looked like a sieve). Although he doesn't take the scoot out much the repairs have lasted about 15 years and leading doesn't rust!! Perhaps you could find an engineering shop to do something similar.
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
Supereibar

rog60 wrote:A mate of mine had the same problem with a set of Model 'C' legshields where replacement is/wasn't possible so he got a retired panel beater (apprentice trained) to clean prep and 'lead fill' the holes (it looked like a sieve). Although he doesn't take the scoot out much the repairs have lasted about 15 years and leading doesn't rust!! Perhaps you could find an engineering shop to do something similar.
Sounds like a very honest approach. I would have a go if you got the chance of getting any lead in there. BUT, don't try doing it on your own as lead is extremely harmful!!!
petemaisey

I have in the past reduced and re-formed a set of Italian SIII legshields. I had to make a tool to form the beading channel. Other than that there are some badge holes to fill.
Pete
ArmandTanzarian

I've seen restos in classic car mags of body panels way worse than that. A skilled sheet metal worker / panel beater should be able to do it. It won't be cheap though.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information