panel strengthening

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
chippy

:bouncing: anybody got an pics or info on best place to weld some strips to strenthen side panels thanks :bouncing:
chippy

come on lads, someone must have done it
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

I have always thought that the way to approach this would be to cut a plate of 2mm ali to match the shape at the bottom of the panel that is prone to splitting, and then araldite it into place on the inside of the panel.

This has several advantages. You can do it yourself, there is no fear of heat distortion and you can do it if the panels are already painted.
Martin
red ghost
Xbox live gamer tag: Pleasure Master
Main scooter: lambretta gp150

Martin, you and I think along the same lines.. although I feel araldite may be to hard

What I've done is shape some 1.2mm stainless and fixed it in place with some 3M double sided tape. My theory (and it maybe be bullshit,but I'm sticking to it) is if you weld something in to beef up an area, it may just send the vibration somewhere else.

Given what I've done I guess serves two purposes, one double sided tape may absorb some vibration and two, the stainless plate is large enough to contact the rubber buffer,may help with the vibes and protects the paintwork.

if I'm rambling and my spelling and gramma have taking a turn,it's because I'm enjoying some beer :D

How come phonetics isn't spelt with an 'f'?

Check out my boobs! <-- <--Just imagine being burried between those puppies!
craze01

Good point about the welding and sending vibration somewhere else but instead of tape why dont you use a good bonding glue like sticks like s**t or something????
My camper was held together with the stuff!!
red
Main scooter: Scomadi TL 250 (Ltd Ed No.3)

you beat me to it mate :)
I do not try to explain why I ride Lambrettas,
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary,
For those who don't, no explantion is possible.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Yes Red Ghost, you've got it. Craze might be heading in the right direction in the glue department, but I wonder if silicon sealant might be the best "glue" for this purpose. John Howe (Jahspeed) reckons brown is the best stuff - he holds his boat together with it.
Martin
Dazza
Main scooter: S3 LI Rapido 225

Seam sealer might be a good choice too
If it aint broke.........tinker with it.....
mawso

Did anyone ever use the silicone or bonding approach for this problem, if so how did you get on? I have the same problem starting and the panels have also been painted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information