Still getting vibration on TS1 225

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

I have an engine mount removal tool. Let me know if you need a hand ;)
celt

Mel K wrote:Celt, if I was you I'd get the crank checked independently, that way there'd be no room for this :? and loads of this :D .
Mel k, I did get it checked first, just wanted a second check by the supplier (MBD) who said that he has a jig made up for the purpose of checking crank alignment.
storkfoot wrote:I have an engine mount removal tool. Let me know if you need a hand ;)
Cheers Paul, will let you know
celt

Tonight or should I say last night, took scoot out for a short run after re-installing crank.

Fitted new bearings and oil seals in drive and mag side, vibration still present...arrgh :baddevil:

The only part of the engine which touches frame/engine mounts is the carb overflow guide. That will get taken off tomorrow hopefully.

After checking numerous times to see if there was any play in the forks or handlebars, we noticed that there was play in the headset. This was only apparent if you gripped end of bars and tried to rock it up and down. By having front wheel off ground and trying to move forks by hand there was no play.

Off came headset top and horncasting and proceeded to tighten up 3 nuts on headset clamp and the allen bolt on forks. Movement/play was tighter but could not eradicate movement completely.

I'm running out of ideas fellas and my missus has had to hide all the ropes incase I hang myself, however Camel has offered to shoot me.
Fruitjuice

This might sound very stupid, but have you checked the front tire, wheel and hub?
I have an outboard front disc brake and ride my scooter pretty hard and have noticed the tire tends to wear unevenly, which after a certain time leads to an oscillating up and down movement at low speeds and vibration at higher speeds. I'm thinking my hub might even be out of true a slight bit which causes the tire to wear unevenly even quicker...
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Couldn't be oval rims could it?
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
camel

all logic points to the crank,vibes were only noticed when this"certain" full circle crank was fitted..as much as we dont want it to be this...im starting to have my suspicions even tho weve had it checked by the supplier and independantly,after trawling thru similar posts ive seen people "hinting" at similar problems with this type of crank....has anyone else experienced vibes low down in the rev range on this set up?..they seem to iron out above say 4k revs
J1MS

camel wrote:all logic points to the crank,vibes were only noticed when this"certain" full circle crank was fitted..as much as we don't want it to be this...im starting to have my suspicions even tho we've had it checked by the supplier and independently,after trawling thru similar posts ive seen people "hinting" at similar problems with this type of crank....has anyone else experienced vibes low down in the rev range on this set up?..they seem to iron out above say 4k revs
Ive fitted Three up to now in my engines all vibrated more than before.... Even the Taffspeed one I bought which was built using a Yam rod on Tino full circle webs, vibrates more than the old standard crank on a Yam 110 rod.... But the vibes on my MB (58 x 110) crank were that bad I took it apart twice and had it checked... its true to within half a thou, but it doesn't balance out the piston smoothly below 4000 rpm after 4,500 it starts to smooth out a little above 5,000 its ride-able with still a little more than normal vibes, above 6,000 its like the standard crank smooth..... The same engine using standard webs and a Yam110 rod (Taffspeed built) was smoother right through the rev range with no white finger setting in even on a 3,000 mile Euro rally... I think its more a counter balance issue than it being out of true... well it seems that way on mine... I asked (when I bought it) for an MB (58x110) full circle crank for my engine, I was surprised not to be asked what piston it was for... because if a crank is to be in balance... it has to counter balance the piston being fitted... seems one size fits all... I did once ask what they were balanced to, but never really got an answer...
The crankshafts are well made and upto now for me no horror stories... But for a low reving scooter like mine its to much vibes at certain revs... but on a more revy engine its not so intrusive as its never in the rev range long enough... different rods angle of rotation and length & pistons (weight) will change the way its effected...
Ian Hepworth

J1MS wrote:
camel wrote:all logic points to the crank,vibes were only noticed when this"certain" full circle crank was fitted..as much as we don't want it to be this...im starting to have my suspicions even tho we've had it checked by the supplier and independently,after trawling thru similar posts ive seen people "hinting" at similar problems with this type of crank....has anyone else experienced vibes low down in the rev range on this set up?..they seem to iron out above say 4k revs
Ive fitted Three up to now in my engines all vibrated more than before.... Even the Taffspeed one I bought which was built using a Yam rod on Tino full circle webs, vibrates more than the old standard crank on a Yam 110 rod.... But the vibes on my MB (58 x 110) crank were that bad I took it apart twice and had it checked... its true to within half a thou, but it doesn't balance out the piston smoothly below 4000 rpm after 4,500 it starts to smooth out a little above 5,000 its ride-able with still a little more than normal vibes, above 6,000 its like the standard crank smooth..... The same engine using standard webs and a Yam110 rod (Taffspeed built) was smoother right through the rev range with no white finger setting in even on a 3,000 mile Euro rally... I think its more a counter balance issue than it being out of true... well it seems that way on mine... I asked (when I bought it) for an MB (58x110) full circle crank for my engine, I was surprised not to be asked what piston it was for... because if a crank is to be in balance... it has to counter balance the piston being fitted... seems one size fits all... I did once ask what they were balanced to, but never really got an answer...
The crankshafts are well made and upto now for me no horror stories... But for a low reving scooter like mine its to much vibes at certain revs... but on a more revy engine its not so intrusive as its never in the rev range long enough... different rods angle of rotation and length & pistons (weight) will change the way its effected...
The cranks are balanced to suit the racetour pistons.
You won't have been asked what piston you are using because as you say "one size fits all". We can't possibly get into having different versions made to suit different piston combos but suffice to say all the racetour items are designed to compliment each other.

What pistons have you used in the three engines you've built?
J1MS

Ian, sorry mate this is no way a dig at the MB crank its just an issue with my setup... I have bought Three MB Racetour cranks up to now, so I must like something about them...It is one size fits all and I fully understand this... I was just trying to point out how it effects my engine and where its worst... As I said even the Taffspeed built one using Tino webs was no better... Its an Issue with my choice of piston, "TS standard 70mm Asso" in two engines and an "Asso kitted Rapido classic" that now has a new RB type AF crank just to make it smoother at low revs... The cost to balance every crank to suit every make of piston ever sold by Mark would be impossible..
I was trying in my post to explain my experience.. as I mentioned at the end of the post, rod and piston choice will effect the balance... and as you stated they are built to suit the race tour range...

Sorry if it seemed I was taking a dig... It wasn't meant that way...

PS ... Ive Just bought another MB crank to fit to another engine..!!
camel

yeah were not digging at anyone either...just trying to iron out the issue....celt is using the asso piston...we a currently removing the forks and going to replace the bearings....after that im lost
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information