Winter upgrade

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

This is the kind of volume elbow that I believe to be necessary:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151604592 ... ed-public/
Warkton Tornado No.1

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:26 pm This is the kind of volume elbow that I believe to be necessary:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151604592 ... ed-public/
BTW. The drainage vent in the elbow had been fitted when this elbow was used on Dell'Orto carburettors. It had wire wool as a breathable plug toward the bottom of the tube but, in any case, was a feature not required with PWK's if they are jetted correctly.

The elbow originates from some of the leftover air cooled VW parts I still have, probably off my old KG.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Sorry for delay in responding. Looking at that, I believe the rubber bellows I have is of sufficient size for requirement, I'll take a photo to demonstrate. From your replies, I'm thinking I'm too rich on pilot and possibly main jets. (So much for going to a tuner with an attitude and being scare-mongered into replacement spare piston). Over the next few days I hope to install the 5 Speed box, having carried out the detailed specific checks all the way through. I've found signs of rubbing on the clutch top plate of the AF cassette clutch which I am going to eradicate (no obvious signs on the base of the kickstart shaft) but have "blued" the base again and also that funny flat spot (ally cast flashing) on the ally chaincase area where the clutch shaft drops through which appeared shiny. I'm being pedantically thorough on this rebuild as I'm not getting any younger and scrabbling round on the workshop floor takes too much out of me. Onwards and upwards.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Warkton Tornado No.1

Ball park figures for PWK pilots are 32 for piston ported, even though inlet timings have not been excessive. That's one of the advantages of 'stroking' the Rapido &, by the sounds of it, the Avanti.

The reed valve TS 70 x 60 had a pilot size 50 which indicates that the reeds prevent the shuffling back & forth of the fresh fuel charge @ low revs, which is what occurs without one fitted. It's a lot like the arse in your Avatar, but not so entertaining or mesmerising ;)
dapper

dapper

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194607535 ... ed-public/

Sorry for long delay in responding, but had to upload Flickr and work out how to use it. Hopefully attached are photos of my carb hose showing size and drain hole, which I think Warkton would agree is large enough.

I've been beginning to fit the 5 Speed AF gearbox and have done the mods to the gear selector stirrup and a few other things. Think I'll change the 6004 bearing in the end plate for a new one which I have spare. This one is a 2RS so has two rubber seals as opposed to the open race that's normally fitted and lubricated by the gear oil, so not sure whether to leave seals in place or remove. I think I noticed that the double row rear hub bearing the AF do has an inner seal as well as on the hub side, but I can't see it on their website. Can anyone confirm and would it be a mistake to leave the seals in place?
dapper

I mean the hose being large enough, not the drain hole.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Take both seals out. It's running in oil, so will benefit from being fully exposed to its environment.
dapper

Maybe, but have you ever taken a magnetic drain plug out and not found it furred up with filings? As the 6004 bearing is open any of these bits could get in and cause faster wear on the bearing, hence my query about retaining the seals to stop ingress, and the AF Rayspeed rear hub bearing has both inner and outer seals fitted. Mentioned it to AF this morning when ordering some bits and whilst Ben wasn't available to ask, the other guy suggested it couldn't do any harm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information