Differences in kick start shafts

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Davidsquaredson
Main scooter: Early Eibar Jet 200

I've got a 65 s3 tv175. Had to replace the kickstart shaft, purchased a good casa one, early style. Installed, but the piston teeth are missing the first gear.

The side case is not original. It had a gp style shaft in it. Examining the two, in addition to the shaft being longer, the GP one is taller by a few mm. This would explain why my teeth are missing the gear.

Could I not just elongate the piston track by 3mm so the teeth raise higher?

Anyone try this?
Tx
David

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
carpe scooter diem

1974 Rally 200
1965 Li150
1963 TV175
1974 Eibar Jet200
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

If you get a set of kickstart shim/washers in various sizes for outside the casing, use to adjust accordingly should sort that out. MBD amongst others will have these.

Internal depth of the kickstart shaft hole on a LI/SX sidecasing is 66mm, GP is 64mm (LI/SX will be if machined with appropiate tool to accept a GP shaft).
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

I've not experienced this problem of mismatched/remade parts, but having run an extended clutch with a chaincase packer, needed to extend the slot for the teeth to engage.

However, as per previous advice from Northener, it's best to try & get the internal lever as close as possible to the hub side without interference. Packing/shimming between it & the cover should be as 'substantial' as possible to spread the load. The plain bearings should be first class. Axial play should be minimal.

The reason for such care is that any slop will result in the chaincase breaking.

Years ago, I tried to eliminate the chaincase packer by machining back the inside to allow the kickstart to fit more to the outside. It didn't last long.......
Davidsquaredson
Main scooter: Early Eibar Jet 200

Good points. I just put in 2 new plain bushings. Both the GP style and early Li style fit in snug. Tbe Li is longer in shaft but can easily be shimmed below the circlip. I'm confident there is no slop.

Tonight I'll focus on comparing the dimensions facing the hub, as the Li type is not getting close enough to the gear cluster. I have 5 kick start shafts in total in my parts bin and all are slightly different even when they are of the same type. Fun. Not.

Dd

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
carpe scooter diem

1974 Rally 200
1965 Li150
1963 TV175
1974 Eibar Jet200
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information