SX200 Lighting Problems

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

SX200 with AC electronic ignition, no lights with exception of brakelight, will take a look at weekend but any advice in advance, i am assuming wiring as no blown bulbs, a few weeks back, speedo bulb plus headlight flickering but then fine.

I have an additional earth from speedo bulb housing to headset bottom.

I have all info to wire a 6v points AC set up to a battery to test the lights, any ideas on doing same on above set up, i.e. what wires to be removed, connected etc.
nsaints

This is from memory so apologise if not totally accurate
I assume you have a way of measuring voltage, and know how to use whatever your using (eg multi-meter)

1: check you have voltage on the main feed into the headset (brown wire - depending on your loom) - if none check the regulator and the connection
if you have voltage coming into the headset move to the next step..
2: check voltage on the same wire from the connector into the ignition switch
3: check voltage from the ignition switch into the common (non-switched) connection to the light switch (orange wire) - if none suspect faulty ignition
4: check the voltage leaving the two switched wires (high/low) into the connection block (red and blue wires) - if none suspect faulty light switch

from what you describe I think it's either: faulty ignition switch, faulty light switch, or a poor earth

you just need to be methodical and trace the voltage through each component
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

i`lost my front light all to do with my orange cable from my ignition failing
Northener

Thanks for advice.

UPDATE: Used multi-meter, got a reading on ignition switch/lights & light switch, none on main power feed (brown wire).

Earth wire had broke on regulator so repaired (still no joy), tried another regulator which was previously working (still no joy).

I then ran a wire around outside of scooter from the bulb holder brown connections to the regulator - bingo lights & a horn (yes just noticed no horn either) BUT now no brake light.

I assume a break in the brown wire somewhere, as I have another loom would probably be my best option.
Anymore suggestions?
firekdp

If it's an electronic loom fitted, check the double, brown bullet crimp at the brake pedal switch, it's a weak point on some looms!
Also check the brake lamp, it more than likely blew when the regulator earth broke.
nsaints

BUT now no brake light
yep, that's correct as when the brown wire leaves the regulator on it's 'journey' to put power into the headset and the common (input) to the ignition switch (orange wire) there's a feed from the brown wire sending power onto the brake light switch
by running a new cable from the regulator into the headset you have just bypassed the brake switch - it's nothing to worry about

from what you have described it looks like you have isolated the fault between the regulator and the headset (the brown wire)
you could try the connection where the feed to the brake switch (under the legshields) to see if that joint has failed - that's where I'd start

good luck
Northener

FINAL UPDATE:

Thanks again for your help, took the loom out & yes it was the wires to the brake pedal switch from the main loom that were damaged/split - hence lights flickering some weeks back prior to loosing them all together.

I just put a new loom in problem solved, will repair old one over winter "sumet to do", as the say!
nsaints

Great news. 👍
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information