Endplate shim

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Daggs

Hi all, Lambretta series 3 standard set-up. What problem(s) may be caused if the endplate shim gap is too large?
thanks.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Daggs wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:04 pm Hi all, Lambretta series 3 standard set-up. What problem(s) may be caused if the endplate shim gap is too large?
thanks.
If you mean the large shim washer that fits into first gear, then that controls the total running clearance for the loose gears.

That should be set @ 0.003 to 0.011" but IMHO 0.003" is the ideal minimum & helps to keep the gear selected "in gear"

Additional end float will encourage jumping out of gear.
Daggs

Thanks for taking time to answer. Strangely I have the opposite problem. Over-large clearance but gears difficult to select !!
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

If there is an over large clearance, then the selector will be trying to drag the currently selected gear sideways with it, rather than it's ramps climbing up & over the sprung balls as it should.
Daggs

Right, so this could be the issue :) I'll order a couple of bigger shims and try to get the gap down to .1 to .2 mm (suggested range in Sticky's book is .07 to .3mm) It's currently around .5 to .6 mm ................
Daggs

I thought I would give an update on this thread. I fitted a bigger shim and got the gap down to a very nice .1mm. However it turned out this was not the problem causing difficult (impossible) gear selection. After much delving, I found the spring in the layshaft (the spring and balls part) was an uprated one. When I fitted a standard spring, the gears selected fine. Phew what a game I've had.
Just when I thought my troubles were all behind me, another problem rears it's head.
The scoot is riding along fine but when I change down there is a very noticeable deceleration whine. Any ideas what would be causing this? Thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information