Stand feet pins coming out.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tippo88

When I rebuilt my s3 I put a stainless centre stand from Scootrs I think it was.
Problem is I can't get the feet retaining pins to stay in.
Have refitted new ones several times and even had the local scooter shop fit a set but sooner or later they dissappear.
The holes in the stand don't go all the way through so maybe I need to drill them deeper but I know drilling stainless is not easy so before I go down that route wondering if there is an alternative approach?

Cheers

Tippo

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

The last couple of SIII stands that I fitted rubber feet to, instead of roll pins, used M5 SHCS (Socket Head Cap Screws) just wound in.

They are as if they are 'made for the job!'

The heads pull themselves into the counterbores in the rubber, even though there is no female thread to engage with.

I can't remember the length, put they need to be just long enough to fully engage in the stand holes plus the rubber feet on the outside. If you decide to use stainless cap heads, A4 is the best & use Copaslip on them otherwise the screws might cold-weld to the stand

I hope that helps.

Roll pins are really springs made of spring steel. Any attempt to replicate them in stainless is not going to work as it is the wrong material.

Stand feet are rubber to protect the floorboard paintwork.......
tippo88

Thanks, will give that a go. Although most of the pins I used were stainless and I wondered if that was OK, I did try some normal steel ones and they fell out too!
Wonder why people sell the stainless pins !!

Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

tippo88 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:15 pm Thanks, will give that a go. Although most of the pins I used were stainless and I wondered if that was OK, I did try some normal steel ones and they fell out too!
Wonder why people sell the stainless pins !!

Why do 'people' sell anything to Lambretta enthusiasts?

The motivation is unlikely to be because the sellers regard the buyers highly & want to do them a good turn, or is that cynical?

A roll pin made to the correct standard will be a hardened steel sprung 'cylindrical' hollow pin with a split along it's length that is marginally bigger in diameter than the hole it is intended to fit. Correctly made, selected & fitted in the correct size hole, it will stay put..

The alternative spiral pin is similar but coiled up rather like a clock spring. The same parameters apply.

Sourcing either example from an engineering supply company that values service & reputation is vastly different to procuring from the majority of Lambretta parts suppliers, IMHO.

After all, none of us would buy chain from a Lambretta parts suppliers would they? A good power transmission supplier will sell chain jointed to length made by Morse, Renold etc which conform to the same standards as the much hyped IWIS. All for less cost than a Rolon chain, yet I bet they still get bought by some naive scooterists.
gaz_powell

I thought the hole went right through the stand and the pin is held by the friction of the rubber stand foot each side
tippo88

gaz_powell wrote:I thought the hole went right through the stand and the pin is held by the friction of the rubber stand foot each side
I think that's correct on the original stands at least. The stainless stand I have though the hole doesn't go all the way through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information