GP stalls when clutch released

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

My GP is stalling when i release my clutch, i had the engine out & after i put it back the scooter was stood some months, when I fired it up some months later & released the clutch it stalled, it was fine prior to engine removal (for engine mount renewal only).

I did notice I had not tightened the gear cables up fully (now tightened & same problem) & no the gear cables are not in the wrong position, so at a loss what is wrong here, any clues?
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

Northener wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:03 pm My GP is stalling when i release my clutch, i had the engine out & after i put it back the scooter was stood some months, when I fired it up some months later & released the clutch it stalled, it was fine prior to engine removal (for engine mount renewal only).

I did notice I had not tightened the gear cables up fully (now tightened & same problem) & no the gear cables are not in the wrong position, so at a loss what is wrong here, any clues?
Have you tried pulling the clutch lever in and kicking it over until the pedal slips just to free the plates up ? I would also put some fresh gear oil in too .
Hotdog

As Mrnice71 says probably stuck clutch plates for lack of use !
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Gear cables wrong way round ?
mick1

just realised the poster said cables correct way round.....forget above post......can't edit it !!
Warkton Tornado No.1

i would try bump starting in a safe area with lots of spare road, then once started, pull the clutch with engine revving a bit & brake. If that doesn't free off the plates, there's something else wrong.
mick1

If it's stalling when clutch released doesn't that mean the plates are separating ok ?
Northener

Thanks for replies, I tried pulling clutch in & kicking over - no change, will take sidecasing off next weekend(hopefully) & take a look at the clutch.
Northener

Thanks again for advice, I took clutch plates out & soaked in new gear oil for a week, popped back in with the new gear oil, she's fine now.

So a seized clutch it was due to no use for some considerable time.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Northener wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 pm Thanks again for advice, I took clutch plates out & soaked in new gear oil for a week, popped back in with the new gear oil, she's fine now.

So a seized clutch it was due to no use for some considerable time.
"Should have gone to ATF"

I use it in all motors that have pass through my hands since 2014. It works well with six/seven plate race clutches on engines estimated @ 30+ BHP.

No slip, no drag. Cheap as chips. Sheds heat better than oil. Works with plates used with that cr@p ST90 etc.

The 'no drag' feature alone has saved gearboxes in my experience..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information