Imola Timing Adjuster

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Sprout
Main scooter: li150

Years ago I was given an "Imola Timing Adjuster" cdi unit

I tested it recently and it works

I'd like to know a bit more about it, but I can't find any information on t'interweb

I seem to recall having a pdf data sheet when I first got it

Anyone got any info about the unit, or know what the specs are ignition retard wise?

Long shot, but thought i'd ask

Thanks
Sprout
Main scooter: li150

Thanks to Cambridge Lambretta for supplying me with the info

Here it is in case anyone else ever needs it

The only comment was that these units do not "fail safe" - if there is a problem, your timing would remain at whatever you've set the initial / static value at

The Imola ETA is wired up very similar to current electronic systems. When fitting the ETA system please observe the following wiring instructions.

From the stator to ETA

From Stator ETA Box
Green Green
White White
Yellow (or red) Yellow
Green This last green terminal goes to your main wiring loom for ignition switch or cut out button
Coil This needs to be connected to a 12V coil. If you have purchased an ETA kit, an extra lead is supplied for this and needs to be connected to the + side of the coil supplied. The coil of course needs to be earthed from the – side.

The remaining wire from your stator is the brown for the lighting circuit, this brown stays connected to your current lighting regulator and is un affected by this conversion.

What the ETA system does is to retard the ignition timing from between half and one degree every one thousand revs. The system does not start to work until around 2,000 revs, so in theory on an engine revving to 7,000 revs, you will see the timing retard from 2.5 to 5.00 degrees.

We suggest on most scooters you set the initial timing to 23 degrees, this will normally give you a retard to around 17 to 18 degrees.

The benefits of this system are that under “normal” rules of timing, the higher the number the better the lower end power. The lower the number the more power top end, and more importantly safer running at high-speed runs. With this adjustable timing you get the best of both worlds, plus your scooter may even be more fuel-efficient.

The Imola ETA is designed to work with SIL electronic systems. You can get this to work on Motoplat and early AF systems but you may need to change your electronic pick up box.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information