Tips on rear brake cable

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
kurtminus
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150

Hello,

I’ve got a 65’ Li150 S3 rear brake that needs the cable adjusted. There’s no more room to adjust at the adjuster. The space is too tight to pull the cable more at the adjuster end I’ve already mangled the cable a bit trying. My hope was to pull the cable through the other end by the foot lever. It seems like you might be able to loosen the knarp and pull the cable but Is that a simple or easy thing to do?

I also bought one of those replacement cables from Casa with the threaded end that I can try. What’s the easiest way to replace a cable inner on a Li150?

I realize some might say I don’t need more adjustment I might need new brake shoes. Haha. To those I would say not yet!! I’d like to get all I can out of these!

An aside: I sprung for a spanners manual but it didn’t really provide much help on this issue hmm.
kurtminus

bump :-)
rainbowrunner
Main scooter: Series 2, RT 195

you can slacken off the rear adjuster then pull it through at the pedal end easy enough, if you have a new cable with the threaded end at rear i would use that ! much better than the bulky original adjuster
kurtminus

rainbowrunner wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:30 pm you can slacken off the rear adjuster then pull it through at the pedal end easy enough, if you have a new cable with the threaded end at rear i would use that ! much better than the bulky original adjuster
If I want to replace the inner can it be easily fed through from the back without removing the entire outer cable housing?
rainbowrunner
Main scooter: Series 2, RT 195

yes, only problem area pushing through are the Top Hats stopping the cable, easier if you take the bridge piece off to ease it through
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I've just replaced my back brake cable.The trouble is that all the quick release cables are 21/2 mm, the original one is 3 mm, so I bought a complete cable from camlam.You have to bend the inner cable and fit the original wheel and spring.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

HxPaul wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:43 am The trouble is that all the quick release cables are 21/2 mm, the original one is 3 mm, so I bought a complete cable from camlam.
BGM one is 3mm, LTH is 3mm, QR2 is 3mm, I can only find the MB one at 2.5mm, but either way I don't see what the "trouble" might be.
coaster

corrado wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:49 am
HxPaul wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:43 am The trouble is that all the quick release cables are 21/2 mm, the original one is 3 mm, so I bought a complete cable from camlam.
BGM one is 3mm, LTH is 3mm, QR2 is 3mm, I can only find the MB one at 2.5mm, but either way I don't see what the "trouble" might be.
I had problems with one that wouldnt fit into a new 'lined' outer cable and had to resort to using an old unlined outer. I picked the frictionless cable set up from Wickstead ( big stall maybe Robospeed) but the QR cable was from MB.
iamwoody
Main scooter: li225

Everybodys raving about the new threaded cable i,ve had one fitted on my scoot and during hard braking the threaded part came away from the cable part and left me with no rear brake at about 60mph very scary , anybody else had this problem ???
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

iamwoody wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:12 am Everybodys raving about the new threaded cable i,ve had one fitted on my scoot and during hard braking the threaded part came away from the cable part and left me with no rear brake at about 60mph very scary , anybody else had this problem ???
I wouldn't say they are new, and have fitted probably over 100 to different scooters and have never heard of one failing yet.
I only fit products of a high standard from the likes of Justlambretta, MB, BGM etc. and would not recommend cheaper versions. In the grand scheme of things they are not expensive anyway.
If you're on a budget, use the original set-up, it works fine, and maintenance is cheap.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information