Speedo cables

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Daggs

Anyone know where I can get a grey speedo cable (complete) for an Indian speedo. That is a decent length. ie. longer than 112 cm which seems to be the standard from dealers. Which are too short, resulting in an extremely tight bend at the wheel.
nsaints

This was something I was trying to find the answer to a few months ago
Posts on here and LCGB’s forum

I read mec-eur we’re longer than scootopia so ordered a mec-eur. Only to find it was shorter than the scootopia cable I already had :roll:

The only way I could get something like an acceptable bend was to also bend the plastic shroud that covers the securing nut at the wheel

Maybe someone has a better answer than me, so I’ll watch this thread
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

I doubt anything is available off the shelf.

However, speedo cables are available for other vehicles & power tool flexible drives. The inner square drive is quite common, though I forget the size, but there's only a few sizes in use.

If a longer 'suitable' speedo cable assembly is selected, shortening the inner is a case of loading the inner with solder prior to cutting. The end is then squared by making a press tool that will fit in a vice.

The press tool I made comprises two 3/8" square MS bars that are my old homemade tap wrench, which clamp a tap by tightening two M6 screws to grip the tap's square drive. I just reversed the two pieces & created a much smaller vee in each to clamp the speedo inner to hold it prior to squeezing it (very hard!) in the vice. I kept snapping inner drive cables for my porting tool & in frustration used an old, broken Lambretta inner (better quality than modern cr@p) & the replacement has worked well, coping with up to 35,ooo RPM & some greater loading than it should!

As for any speedo outer of the wrong colour, heat shrink the bottom part to the desired of 50 shades of grey ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information