Sip digital speedo Again!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
db67

Hi, been messing about the best part of the day with it trying to find tune the speed setting using a gps sat nav, it seems fine up to 40mph with regards to the gps , but once I reach about 50/60mph on the gps the speedo is 10 mph slower! ( at 50mph gps the speedo reads 40mph & at 60mph gps the speedo reads 50mph) I've messed about with the tyre circumference settings which I measured at 1300 mm & was the setting I started with but it makes no difference if I lower or higher this setting! the gear ratio is set 0.77 & the rpm setting is 3 & it runs a standard speedo cable not a magnetic pick up. any help much appreciated! that's in advance. Cheers
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Hello DB,

The tyre circumference is needed only when you're using the magnetic pickup (and also the 'pulse per revolution' setting), so the speedo knows how far forward you travel per wheel rotation which contains X number of pulses, so that's why that adjustment has no effect for you as you're on the traditional speedo drive.

I'm thinking your problem could be more around the speedo drive and/or cable itself, maybe it's skipping when the rotations increase at higher RPM. Maybe you could test with a standard speedo, and if you don't see the problem it would suggest the drive end is good & maybe the cable fitting in the SIP speedo is poor.

If you can find a good mounting point the magnetic pickups are a good conversion & do give you a very steady & reliable speed reading. I see SIP also do a GPS module too, but I've not tried those.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information