Speedo cable

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rainbowrunner
Main scooter: Series 2, RT 195

Hi. Does anyone know the best place to buy a speedo cable. The one I have fitted looks a bit short resulting in a tight curve at the wheel.
Daggs

O/K I'm guessing we're talking Lambretta here.
When the Indian suppliers started making grey cables for Lambretta, they made them the same length as GP Black cables. This is why you get the tight curve (they look odd but in my experience work)
So what you need is to find a supplier that has copied the original Innocenti cables.
I don't KNOW who to go to, but would suggest someone who sells CASA parts or possibly Scootopia.
rainbowrunner
Main scooter: Series 2, RT 195

Hi, thanks for reply, yes its a series 2, speedo does work ok just not happy with the tight curve at the wheel, iv,e got a new cable here but iv,e a feeling its the same length, the length of the inner cable is 46 inch so if anyone out there has one longer i would be greatful to know where you got it from, or if any dealers on this site can measure one and is longer than mine i would by it.
thanks
nsaints

I have this exact issue right now. A grey Scootopia speedo cable that ,ideally, could do with being a touch longer. Maybe 20 or 30mm to improve the curve and remove the tightness.

I did lay the grey cable next to a black cable and they’re the exact same length. So Daggs theory about Indian makes sense

I had a search around suppliers yesterday and found Mike at Torbay Lambretta quoting a slightly longer series 2 cable. But out of stock though 🙁
There’s also a thread on LCGB mentioning meceur grey cables are longer from Buzzsolo

Question I have.
Are series 2 speedo cables longer as standard and do the ends screw into series 3 speedos and at the wheel?
Daggs

My THOUGHTS on this are. Series 1 and 2 speedo cables are made the same length as series 3.
However, the headset end fitting comes in two options.
1) to fit an Italian speedo.
2) to fit an Indian speedo.
This also applies to S3 models, depending on whether you use an original speedo or remade Indian.
Just to complicate it a bit further. I believe early S1/S2 speedos used a smaller diameter inner.
Scooter restorations list Extra long speedo cables for extended forks. But I think they're out of stock. They would be too long anyway I suspect.
nsaints

Just for clarity I have a SX with original speedo

The scooter did come with what look like original
Cables. Well they were old to the point of not useable and they had cable oilers

Luckily I still have them along with the speedo cable.
No way that I know if it’s a original speedo cable that I know of, but I’ve measured it hoping it’s 20 or 30mm longer and proving the theory

Unfortunately the speedo cable outer is 1120, which makes it 10mm shorter than the black GP cable.
I suppose this makes the theory wrong or this isn’t an original speedo cable.
Daggs

Somewhere on Scooter Restorations site it says standard length 1020. Not sure if you have mis-measured or they have mis-quoted.
Additionally cables are sometimes cut back to get the fit into the wheel end correct, which could lose 20 mm or so.
Daggs

I've just been into my garage and measured two remade speedo cables for Italian speedos.
One is Black and one is Grey. They both measure 1125 mm (outers from top of ally sleeve speedo end, to end of outer, wheel end)
This reinforces what I said earlier. The Indian remade grey cables were made the same length as the Black.
I suspect you have a re-made grey that has been cut at some point.
I also tried the inner into an old S2 speedo I have, and it doesn't go in. Again reinforcing what I said about S1 and S2 inners being smaller diameter.
I suggest you search dealers for a grey cable longer then 1125mm, with Italian nut and check which diameter inner you require.
nsaints

Without a trip back into the garage to re- measure, but relying on this thread I think the scooter resto’ site is incorrect

http://www.ilambretta.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =10&t=5443
Daggs

I agree and I'm outta here. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information