GT 240 Options

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

MickBH wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:42 pm
Toddy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:38 am Stock here maybe ?

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/prod ... NEEALw_wcB

Have you rang Andy Francis he may advise ? I run a 240 with the race pipe it’s the best one to get the best out of the kit IMHO
Thanks for the link but SIP are out of stock too. Yes Andy Francis said they aren’t being made at this stage.
Didn’t he have a falling out with Oliver Lomas ??
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

i have a gt 240in my series 2 built on intercontinetal cases using bgm v4 clubman 30 phbh running 4.:8.1 gearing (standard sx200/ tv175 ) built by discodez scooters .

i had lots of trouble with heat seizures all through running in. scooter never went above 50mph according to the sip speedo fitted . mostly a 7 mile trip from home to work or odd trip of aboug 12 miles to the club meet.
found the bgm v4 pipe the gt kit with sx gearing didnt work well together to revvy in 3rd and couldnt pull 4th.
scooter has been back over at dezs for last 15 months had new piston but no reason givien or seizures from them .
conversations with some respected tuners / dyno operators and kit makers as well as someone connected witn this forum have pointed to the bgm v4 causing gassing up and contributing to heat build and possibly the seizure issues and they didnt recommend the v4 bgm clubman for Large capacity kits .
i would consider the ron moss straight through pipe but if the seizures continue thats another engine rebuild and unecessary parts bought and problem unsolved .

im feeling more inclined to go for something tried and tested once i get the scooter back .

the video dan from scootering posted on you tube about a forthcoming Ts1 240 touring build sounded up my street so i might make some serious enquiries once i get the scooter back .

before fitting the bgm v4 i would recommend speaking to a few respected tuners to get a few opinions as to whether its suitable for the kit you have .
MickBH
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 2

wintermod65 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:31 pm i have a gt 240in my series 2 built on intercontinetal cases using bgm v4 clubman 30 phbh running 4.:8.1 gearing (standard sx200/ tv175 ) built by discodez scooters .

i had lots of trouble with heat seizures all through running in. scooter never went above 50mph according to the sip speedo fitted . mostly a 7 mile trip from home to work or odd trip of aboug 12 miles to the club meet.
found the bgm v4 pipe the gt kit with sx gearing didnt work well together to revvy in 3rd and couldnt pull 4th.
scooter has been back over at dezs for last 15 months had new piston but no reason givien or seizures from them .
conversations with some respected tuners / dyno operators and kit makers as well as someone connected witn this forum have pointed to the bgm v4 causing gassing up and contributing to heat build and possibly the seizure issues and they didnt recommend the v4 bgm clubman for Large capacity kits .
i would consider the ron moss straight through pipe but if the seizures continue thats another engine rebuild and unecessary parts bought and problem unsolved .

im feeling more inclined to go for something tried and tested once i get the scooter back .

the video dan from scootering posted on you tube about a forthcoming Ts1 240 touring build sounded up my street so i might make some serious enquiries once i get the scooter back .

before fitting the bgm v4 i would recommend speaking to a few respected tuners to get a few opinions as to whether its suitable for the kit you have .
It turns out mine has a Scootpia clubman fitted. It's really nice to ride, it has a very smooth almost flat power delivery.

I just want a little more go out of it so as I can't find a Fran Race I'm going to try either a Supertourer or like you say an Avanti ST.
wintermod65

could have missed a trick there at least might not have the grief ive had , i did havd a scootopia clubman to begin with , but id ridden the gt 240 demonstrator over at dezs an wanted same set up so changed to the v4 bgm , dum move there ! im not a fan of bgm kit anymore i have to say bad quality or performance from theif parts i hac fitted shocks not good ( see rob grays kickback garage on youtube ) oversprung an damping action not linera comprssion /rebound an too soft on fronts , bg stators/electronic flywheel had 2 both wander an wont time up , an the dc regulator failed after 200 miles .

i dont know what the avanti kit is like , i had a ts 1 200 back in 1990 theres lots of set up info out there for the ts1 kits unlike the gt 240 kit . it has turned out to be an expensive risk to take on what was a new" kit on the block .

thankfully my other ride isnt a scooter dont think my wallet could handle double the trauma
that an the missus would prob do me
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

wintermod65 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:11 pm could have missed a trick there at least might not have the grief ive had , i did havd a scootopia clubman to begin with , but id ridden the gt 240 demonstrator over at dezs an wanted same set up so changed to the v4 bgm , dum move there ! im not a fan of bgm kit anymore i have to say bad quality or performance from theif parts i hac fitted shocks not good ( see rob grays kickback garage on youtube ) oversprung an damping action not linera comprssion /rebound an too soft on fronts , bg stators/electronic flywheel had 2 both wander an wont time up , an the dc regulator failed after 200 miles .

i dont know what the avanti kit is like , i had a ts 1 200 back in 1990 theres lots of set up info out there for the ts1 kits unlike the gt 240 kit . it has turned out to be an expensive risk to take on what was a new" kit on the block .

thankfully my other ride isnt a scooter dont think my wallet could handle double the trauma
I wouldn't throw the "baby out with the bath water" just yet!

I can virtually guarantee you are on the right track with what you refer to as "gassing up"

IME on any fettled 200+ engine, the exhaust bleed needs to be @ least an inch bore.

As far as I am aware, there never has been, or ever will be, a 'clubman' type exhaust that can have such a large tailpipe & have an acceptable noise level without reverting to an additional muffler.

The good news is that there are some traders willing to acknowledge that fact & manufacture accordingly, some having very discrete tailor made mufflers.

Or, you make your own clubman from the OEM components, in which case you can improve ground clearance, rubber mount & choose any style of muffler. That's what I have done since the 70's.

Increasing the bleed size to sensible proportions WILL lose a little torque @ the bottom end, but the free revving nature of the engine is adequate compensation, along with the enhancement of the over-rev capability & peace of mind...... :)
wintermod65

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:32 pm
wintermod65 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:11 pm could have missed a trick there at least might not have the grief ive had , i did havd a scootopia clubman to begin with , but id ridden the gt 240 demonstrator over at dezs an wanted same set up so changed to the v4 bgm , dum move there ! im not a fan of bgm kit anymore i have to say bad quality or performance from theif parts i hac fitted shocks not good ( see rob grays kickback garage on youtube ) oversprung an damping action not linera comprssion /rebound an too soft on fronts , bg stators/electronic flywheel had 2 both wander an wont time up , an the dc regulator failed after 200 miles .

I wouldn't throw the "baby out with the bath water" just yet!

I can virtually guarantee you are on the right track with what you refer to as "gassing up"

IME on any fettled 200+ engine, the exhaust bleed needs to be @ least an inch bore.

As far as I am aware, there never has been, or ever will be, a 'clubman' type exhaust that can have such a large tailpipe & have an acceptable noise level without reverting to an additional muffler.

The good news is that there are some traders willing to acknowledge that fact & manufacture accordingly, some having very discrete tailor made mufflers.

Or, you make your own clubman from the OEM components, in which case you can improve ground clearance, rubber mount & choose any style of muffler. That's what I have done since the 70's.

Increasing the bleed size to sensible proportions WILL lose a little torque @ the bottom end, but the free revving nature of the engine is adequate compensation, along with the enhancement of the over-rev capability & peace

, ive given this set up a fair chance , i did order a 265 sst part bulit as already have 5 speed gearbox and casa ducati ignition and the casa side cover last summer but RLC failed to honour the timeframe they gave for delivery 3 times . with zero communication from them something i find all too common with many scooter dealers sadly .

a lot of products are announced with great fanfare from the scooter media , but when all is not golden the silence is deafening !

ive tried to find info on what the bgm v4 is suited for but its not out there or any info as too limitations of use
all i would say is it hasnt fallen to bits well not in the 1000 miles i did . i personally wouldnt risk putting it on any big block 200 cc + kit

i do wonder if these " big" casings (casa gt misano) contribute to heat retention too id be intereseted to see the tempetature difference on the same set ups built on the original cases .
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

As others have confirmed, I really doubt that the BGM IV was the right choice for the GT240; restrictive gassing-up and mismatch of RPM that pipe and kit want to work at. Don't get me wrong, I think that the BGM clubmas are great for use on an appropriate engine.

I note that Eden has been testing Ron's clubman on GT kits so you may want to try to get info off him.

I personally didn't particularly like the Fran Race on my knitted bike (not GT) as it pushed the power higher up the rev range than I wanted for my fast tourer. I do understand that they suit the GT and riding style of some though. Let's not forget that it is called the Fran RACE for a reason, and suits the revvy RB20 well for production race class.

You really need to find an option that flows well enough to avoid gassing-up but delivers the ride (power vs. RPM) that suits the kit + your riding style. I can think of lots that I believe would work but, as I have no first-hand experience of the GT240, will let others offer their advice.

Good luck.
Rich_T
Dealer
Main scooter: Li Special

I'm impressed you a knitting performance kits these days Adam!
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... well spotted Richard... *** predictive text (lol)
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

It is many years since I was aware of the relationship between the exhaust bleed size & the effect upon the performance. It really is a case of bigger power potential within the top end will require a bigger bleed.

Crudely put, any 'one-exhaust-suits-all' (which suggests 125 cc up to 250 cc plus) is about as likely to be true as Boris Johnson's promises.

Yet these Clubman exhausts continue to be sold, even going through variations of about four or so in some instances, that endeavour to control the noise output by having one size of bleed (tailpipe) that will not only restrict performance of a good top end but actually harm it by heat build up.

I wouldn't mind earning the profits accrued whilst scooterists buy my products whilst actually being the Guinea pigs to finally admit (but not in public or in writing) that a bigger bleed is essential! All bow down & say "Hail Version V!" or whatever will be the latest 'fix'

That's why you have to admire the integrity of people like Ron Moss who makes a Clubman exhaust fit for purpose, rather than support somebody that claims to have almost invented the wheel from their web pages.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information