GT 240 Options

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MickBH
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 2

I have a GT 240 built on Intercontinental cases, running Dellorto 30mm carb and BGM Clubman exhaust.

It’s a superb engine but I’m after a bit more power.

I’ve heard that an expansion chamber can really wake these up, can anyone recommend a pipe that’s not too peaky and not too noisy?
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

The recommended expansion is (I think) a Fran Race, which is what I use on my GT240. It does give a nice power band once you get over 5k rpm without taking too much away at lower revs.

I've never used a clubman so can't say how it compares, but I did have a borrowed JL3 on this kit initially which delivered a very flat power delivery, which I found boring & much prefer the Fran Race.

I notice Eden now lists a 64/110 crank for sale which I think would go straight in to your cases. A much more disruptive change of course, but thought I'd mention it as it could be something to consider on a future rebuild as that would deliver a few extra cc's & power.
MickBH

Thanks George that new crank does look interesting.

How do you find the noise level on the Franspeed Race? Is it a similar level to the JL3?
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

It was a few years back so hard to remember but I think was around the same.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I've heard the Ron Moss ex-boss works really well with the GT240, the latest BGM clubman isn't great, in reducing the noise they have reduced the performance of the pipe by quite a large margin compared to earlier versions. Franspeed Race is the preferred expansion, I have one on my GT186 and that works great, another alternative is the CST7 which I know a few people use
Rich_T
Dealer
Main scooter: Li Special

I'm using the BGM clubman on the EVO engine and it goes like stink BUT it has had the internal baffles brutally operated on and it is louder.
MickBH

I’ve been trying to track down a Franspeed Race, but looks like they are no longer made.

Has any one tried the Fran Supertourer or JL RST with a 240?

I’m not looking for a high revver just a bit more kick than the clubman.
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Stock here maybe ?

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/prod ... NEEALw_wcB

Have you rang Andy Francis he may advise ? I run a 240 with the race pipe it’s the best one to get the best out of the kit IMHO
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Toddy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:38 am Stock here maybe ?

Just be aware of the VAT, import charges and courier fees on top of the prices advertised
MickBH

Toddy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:38 am Stock here maybe ?

Have you rang Andy Francis he may advise ? I run a 240 with the race pipe it’s the best one to get the best out of the kit IMHO
Thanks for the link but SIP are out of stock too. Yes Andy Francis said they aren’t being made at this stage.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information