Front Brake Cable

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

What's the easiest way to lubricate the front brake cable on a Series 2? At the moment it looks like I've got to remove the light switch and wiring to be able to pull out the whole cable in order to dribble oil down it.

Is there another way?
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Undo inner cable at wheel end. Headset top off. Undo screw holding brake lever in place. Slowly pull away lever from housing, making sure you do not loose the preasure spring. Pull inner cable until you have enough slack to withdraw outer cable from housing. You will then be able to dribble oil down the inside of the outer. You could withdraw the inner altogether, but may have trouble refitting!
MightyGem

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but it looks a bit tight in the housing with the lighting cable and the throttle rod. Just concerned about getting the outer cable back in place.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

It would easier to fit a new inner wire. Cut the wheel end off and drag the inner out. Pull the outer out of the housing, no need to remove wiring loom then thread the inner through the housing. The wire can now be threaded into the outer with oil. Once done the inner wire can be used to guide the outer back into the housing.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

You can lubricate from the bottom end by releasing the inner cable from it's clevises/clamp & attach a hydraulic oiler.

The choice of oil is what I always agonise about!
MightyGem

You can lubricate from the bottom end
Yeah, that's what I did in the end.

I couldn't get the top end free. Thought if I've got to pull this hard to try and get it out, when I get it out, it's going to be a bugger to get it back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information