Gear Box Oil

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

Hi, guys. I would like some views/opinions on the following.

My Series 2 is due a gearbox oil change. There was an article in October's Scootering mag about gearbox oil and what it should look like. I drained a sample from mine and it's pretty black, which it's always been every time I've changed it. Is this normal?

Scootering says that the colour should be pretty much the same as when it went in. That seems to make sense as I can't really see how it could get dirty. Scootering says that if it's black it indicates a problem of some sort of wear in the gear box.

Spoken to a local scooter guy and he says it's normal for when it's due changing. He also says that I can give the gear box a good clean out by putting half a cup of fuel in(with the oil), idling the scoot for 30 mins, then draining after it has cooled down. Does that sound ok?

Thanks
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

could be several things. pour it into a clear container & let the sediment settle. check if its gritty or soft (metal or rubber seal). do you have a magnetic drain plug - if so, what's stuck to it? if it were mine i'd be taking the side casing off & having a good look inside
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

Thanks. No sediment and the mag plug is clear.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information