Indian gearbox

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Daggs

Has anyone ever bought and used an Indian Li 150 gearbox?
How was it, trouble free, well made.? Grateful for any opinions.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I've never bought and fitted a full Indian gearbix, but 2 first gears. One was spot on and has been in use for 6years without issue. The other lasted a couple of weeks and the kickstarter teeth crumbled!

I've just bought an indian close ratio box from AF but not fitted yet. It seems perfectly sound though.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Lots of questions, I dont think an Indian Box is any worse than any other in the way its made. I tend to think that they take a lot of stick as does anything else in that neck of the woods. It depends on what engine you are going to fit it. A standard 150 build will be fine, a rip-roaring 255 maybe not. A lot complain about the jump between 3rd and 4th, This is more to do with tuned setups with Narrow power bands that you have to keep the kettle boiling so to speak, to get the best out of the pipe. I found that you can do most adjustments by changing the front sprocket and if you must the clutch basket 46 or 47. I ran a 125 box on a Casa kit with a lot surprised as to how it went uphill. In that case it was into 2nd gear quickly but went like a steam train after that because it had the low down grunt. Fully loaded camping with a thick boned woman on the back change it all again. I have not seen the gearbox calculator for a while. It had a section to say what box you had fitted front and rear sprockets, chain etc. and you could compare the output. changing gear sets did very little
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

If, you’re referring to the remade ones floating about on a certain auction site, I’d avoid. They are normally made from cheese, and almost impossible to shim due to poor machining. The ones made by SIL etc will be perfectly fine, used with the correct sprocket combination.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information