MB BIG HEAD

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Joe Swoonara
Main scooter: Lambretta S2 240 5speed

Thanks for the pointers Vega just looking for a point of reference , was in touch with a fellow scooterist a couple of years ago , unfortunately lost his contact details who was running , i pretty sure, a GP with big head and no fan , gave me the confidence to go ahead with mine , he told me his tended to run cooler when on a run and hot a lot hotter in and around town even in traffic
Did a search on the forum and there is a bit running the mb head but more about it origins
i can understand your uncertainty about running this set up Tornado i was too,but i also ride a Buell XB12 which is also air cooled , thats a V twin rear cylinder is totally shielded by the front , but it works, and lots of old motorcycles run without any forced air cooling
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

It was once 'swings & roundabouts' as to whether ditching the fan on a large capacity Lambretta, highly tuned engine would be beneficial. Not so long ago, as I have mentioned, minimialist sprinters employed that tactic. Personally, I have two Group Four bikes in my garage with scoop cooling. However, despite their high state of tune, they retain thick walls & use cooler running Avgas in addition to 25+ mm expansion chamber bleeds. 39 mm oval bore carbs also deliver a lot of air to mix with fuel which has a contributory factor to internal cooling.

All I was saying is that the pendulum has swung the other way nowadays & the likes of DT set the trend for fans to be re-employed when he campaigned a Group Six sporting a fan. You should have heard the back biting comments in the paddock, but he proved them wrong & Eric Cope continues that ethos with a full bodied sprinter.

As for four stroke V twins, the rear most cylinder is often tuned differently via additional fuel &/or retarded ignition. Even the proper Beetle fan cooled engines had number three cylinder running slightly retarded ignition due to cooling deficiencies.

Anyhow, Good Luck with running your non fan cooled engines but keep that left hand hovering over the clutch.......most of us do anyway :lol:
vega125s
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

Anyhow, Good Luck with running your non fan cooled engines but keep that left hand hovering over the clutch.......most of us do anyway :lol:

Ha! over forty’s years with my hand on the clutch lever , wonder why I have rheumatism ?!😂😂😂
Ride safe all.
Warkton Tornado No.1

vega125s wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:32 pm Anyhow, Good Luck with running your non fan cooled engines but keep that left hand hovering over the clutch.......most of us do anyway :lol:

Ha! over forty’s years with my hand on the clutch lever , wonder why I have rheumatism ?!😂😂😂
Ride safe all.
I don't have the 200 quid or so to buy into the CST rack & pinion clutch release, but I do have a "cunning plan" as Baldrick used to say :)

An eBay purchase has got me a motorcycle rack, pinion & operating lever to graft in. As they are pukka, accurately machined, hardened items, I'd sooner adapt the crankcase cover internally to fit them than spend hours filing up my own as shown on YouTube, even though I'm sure that method works very well......
kejj

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
vega125s wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:32 pm Anyhow, Good Luck with running your non fan cooled engines but keep that left hand hovering over the clutch.......most of us do anyway :lol:

Ha! over forty’s years with my hand on the clutch lever , wonder why I have rheumatism ?!ImageImageImage
Ride safe all.
I don't have the 200 quid or so to buy into the CST rack & pinion clutch release, but I do have a "cunning plan" as Baldrick used to say :)

An eBay purchase has got me a motorcycle rack, pinion & operating lever to graft in. As they are pukka, accurately machined, hardened items, I'd sooner adapt the crankcase cover internally to fit them than spend hours filing up my own as shown on YouTube, even though I'm sure that method works very well......
Any Chance of pointing us to the right eBay direction?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Warkton Tornado No.1

kejj wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:20 am
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:

Ha! over forty’s years with my hand on the clutch lever , wonder why I have rheumatism ?!ImageImageImage
Ride safe all.

Any Chance of pointing us to the right eBay direction?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It was a matter of scouring t'internet until I found something that looked as if it would do. Chances are that there will be something even more suitable. If you have access to a breakers, that would be the best way of finding something useable & not needing much modification to fit. However, I'll go with what I have for now.....

The set I bought are from some Kawasaki. The lever is detachable & splined. The pinion part is one piece but hardened & ground.

The spur is larger than the crankcase cover holes, so I will be bushing them with Oilites (probably) to suit, possibly half capping the lower crankcase support to make assembly easier.

The rack element is ground & hardened 10 mm diameter so because I want this to work with all covers, it will need a top hat type flanged fitting to fix to the inside of non GP's, which would need spot facing flat on the inside. Something like the end of a wardrobe clothes rail support, but smaller! A GP cover would just need a reducing bush in a 'C' shape.

I'm certain that the concept will work well, but need to find the time to do the necessary modifications..... :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information