New Head Gasket

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MightyGem
Main scooter: Lambretta

My head gasket blew on my Series 2 during a ride the other day. Seems a simple enough job, but these simple jobs have a habit of not being simple.

Any hints and tips to keep it simple?

One question. It's had a stage 4 175 conversion. What gasket do I need? A TV 175 perhaps??
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Head gaskets are useless & I've yet to strip an engine that did not have evidence of leakage.

If the squish can remain safe* with removal of the gasket, & the CR is not excessive, then omit head gaskets. I will not use them & have not done so for over 40 years.

* Of course, the 'real' safest squish is the optimum, probably 1.0 mm in the case of your engine. Any greater & heat transfer from piston to head is reduced.
Mrnice71
Main scooter: Lambretta series 3

Any head gasket below 1mm will always be problematic
ulyssescale

Mrnice71 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:55 am Any head gasket below 1mm will always be problematic
Agreed. But it is good to understand why this is true. The material the gasket is made from and the amount of heat it will be exposed to. I recommend getting a head that is inset into the barrel. This will keep it from happening.
A chicken ain't nothing but a bird.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information