Frame modification necessary for S3 when using 60/110 crank and RT225?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

ulyssescale wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:23 pm So far I have built 3 of these motors now. All using 60/110 crankshafts and RT225 kits.

After installing the engines into the S3 frames, the cylinders, with cooling tin installed, are touching the front right part of the frame loop. Is the only good solution for this problem to trim an amount off the frame loop? I noticed on a recent picture posted to Rimini Lambretta Center's Instagram, that they trimmed about 3mm-4mm off this part of the frame. Anyone else trim their frame to accommodate a longer cylinder set-up? I am not a fan of offset cones.

Late to the party here but have these all been Serveta frames or Italian? I've built a few RT kits with 60/110 cranks and haven't run in to that. The cylinder tin was close to the frame loop but none have touched.
ulyssescale

Grumpy225 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:08 pm
Late to the party here but have these all been Serveta frames or Italian? I've built a few RT kits with 60/110 cranks and haven't run in to that. The cylinder tin was close to the frame loop but none have touched.

Yes.
A chicken ain't nothing but a bird.
ulyssescale

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Should I?

Given your advice, here's some for you:

You should question the Manufacturer of products you have an issue with & if need be, complain to them, rather than request advice from A N Other without them being able to suggest a solution.

My interpretation of Forums such as this, is that it is a platform for the sharing of knowledge in the endeavour to help & support one another.

So when I read glowing references for a product such as "carbon fiber tin" whilst attempting to suggest solutions to enable a product from the same source to fit, then I think it appropriate to expand on the advice given.

Whether you choose to take mine, or anybody else's advice is up to you, or anybody else reading this.

To me, that seems good etiquette. All the better if it can be delivered with an element of goodwill.

I’m sorry, you lost me. But I get it, you don’t like MB stuff. I’m not biased for or against any particular producer... That isn’t true - I’m not a fan of anything Tino Saatchi sells.

I took the advice of using the Casa Performance flat-sided engine bolt and included offset cones. It solved the problem, though I am reluctant to trust offset cones as I’ve struggled with them before. But it looks good so far.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

ulyssescale wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:44 am
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Should I?

Given your advice, here's some for you:

You should question the Manufacturer of products you have an issue with & if need be, complain to them, rather than request advice from A N Other without them being able to suggest a solution.

My interpretation of Forums such as this, is that it is a platform for the sharing of knowledge in the endeavour to help & support one another.

So when I read glowing references for a product such as "carbon fiber tin" whilst attempting to suggest solutions to enable a product from the same source to fit, then I think it appropriate to expand on the advice given.

Whether you choose to take mine, or anybody else's advice is up to you, or anybody else reading this.

To me, that seems good etiquette. All the better if it can be delivered with an element of goodwill.

I’m sorry, you lost me. But I get it, you don’t like MB stuff. I’m not biased for or against any particular producer... That isn’t true - I’m not a fan of anything Tino Saatchi sells.

I took the advice of using the Casa Performance flat-sided engine bolt and included offset cones. It solved the problem, though I am reluctant to trust offset cones as I’ve struggled with them before. But it looks good so far.
For the record, I am aware of individual products that are to be avoided, for one reason or another, produced by particular Manufacturers.

When a product is IMHO unsafe, then my conscience dictates that I should try & make others aware. That may be front brake cables that snap, hubs that fail, chains that stretch & break or even rear hub bearings that are unsafe due to the tendency for the plastic cage to fail in it's duty.

You may not share my point of view, as long as you personally remain safe, but I hope that my actions & communications can help others remain safe.

When a product is not fit for purpose, similarly, I endeavour to communicate that fact. Examples include crankshafts that fail, exhausts that cause overheating, gears that break teeth, inner tubes that valves foul forks & front sprocket bolts that are too long.

Such components may not be so life threatening, but I will advocate avoidance if I am aware.

You may not be aware of MB's technical pages, but some of us are, & believe them to be biased & not absolutely factual.

If you do not believe me, you should read them or some part. Steering clear of cylinder kits, I would suggest MB's comments about gearboxes are a good choice to peruse. Look out for hIs comments about Taffspeed's CR gearboxes. Whilst Terry & Ian are no longer here to defend their products, maybe I can set the record straight.

The Taffspeed 'box utilised special b@5t@rd gears in place of third & fourth on the cluster to mate with standard loose gears, yet achieve closer ratios.

They worked well & are incredibly strong. I personally have two of them.

Not wishing to get any further off topic, if made aware, I will challenge statements made by ANY manufacturer that I believe to be untrue, regardless of their other components being good, including "carbon fiber tin"

The claims about the kit you have bought into derinately are questionable. From a performance perspective, they are not by any means the best.

As you have personally discovered, they do not even fit the frame you bought it for in the configuration you desire, a not uncommon geometry.

Simple fact......
ulyssescale

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:50 pm
For the record, I am aware of individual products that are to be avoided, for one reason or another, produced by particular Manufacturers.

When a product is IMHO unsafe, then my conscience dictates that I should try & make others aware. That may be front brake cables that snap, hubs that fail, chains that stretch & break or even rear hub bearings that are unsafe due to the tendency for the plastic cage to fail in it's duty.

You may not share my point of view, as long as you personally remain safe, but I hope that my actions & communications can help others remain safe.

When a product is not fit for purpose, similarly, I endeavour to communicate that fact. Examples include crankshafts that fail, exhausts that cause overheating, gears that break teeth, inner tubes that valves foul forks & front sprocket bolts that are too long.

Such components may not be so life threatening, but I will advocate avoidance if I am aware.

You may not be aware of MB's technical pages, but some of us are, & believe them to be biased & not absolutely factual.

If you do not believe me, you should read them or some part. Steering clear of cylinder kits, I would suggest MB's comments about gearboxes are a good choice to peruse. Look out for hIs comments about Taffspeed's CR gearboxes. Whilst Terry & Ian are no longer here to defend their products, maybe I can set the record straight.

The Taffspeed 'box utilised special b@5t@rd gears in place of third & fourth on the cluster to mate with standard loose gears, yet achieve closer ratios.

Not wishing to get any further off topic, if made aware, I will challenge statements made by ANY manufacturer that I believe to be untrue, regardless of their other components being good, including "carbon fiber tin"

The claims about the kit you have bought into derinately are questionable. From a performance perspective, they are not by any means the best.

As you have personally discovered, they do not even fit the frame you bought it for in the configuration you desire, a not uncommon geometry.

Simple fact......
Holy s**t. WTF are you going on about? Do you behave this way whenever anyone here posts a question that has an MB component in the mix? Now you are talking about gearboxes? You are coming unhinged.

For the record, advice was given, action was taken, problem has been dealt with.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

ulyssescale wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:27 pm
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:50 pm

Simple fact......
Holy s**t. WTF are you going on about? Do you behave this way whenever anyone here posts a question that has an MB component in the mix? Now you are talking about gearboxes? You are coming unhinged.

For the record, advice was given, action was taken, problem has been dealt with.
Advice & now an analysis. Wow!

To summarise, & this shouldn't overwhelm your thinking &/or attention span, next time you have an issue with a product, ask the Manufacturer why it doesn't fit. Try to involve them before resorting to asking others.

Here in the UK, we are often told by your fellow Americans that our service is poor because we do not complain to the right people.

Clearly, you feel unable, or inadequate, to even question the seller of your kit. Surely there must be some fellow Americans you know that can communicate to MB that you have a product that does not fit (without resorting to additional expense)?

I am aware of your priorities, but do please let us all know any responses that you get.

We are also told that we can be too polite, compared with your lot. Clearly, that is true in your case....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information