Frame modification necessary for S3 when using 60/110 crank and RT225?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ulyssescale

So far I have built 3 of these motors now. All using 60/110 crankshafts and RT225 kits.

After installing the engines into the S3 frames, the cylinders, with cooling tin installed, are touching the front right part of the frame loop. Is the only good solution for this problem to trim an amount off the frame loop? I noticed on a recent picture posted to Rimini Lambretta Center's Instagram, that they trimmed about 3mm-4mm off this part of the frame. Anyone else trim their frame to accommodate a longer cylinder set-up? I am not a fan of offset cones.
A chicken ain't nothing but a bird.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

Fitted one to same spec (SX200) and didn’t have this problem. Could you maybe have the longer S2 rear shock fitted? The Rimini offset cones with the flat sided engine bar are excellent for topend clearance issues without the possible offset cone downside of twisting cones.
ulyssescale

Using a Protech rear shock in a late-Jet frame with late-Jet case. I’m using a CST3 exhaust so I’m not really interested in lowering my engine.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

ulyssescale wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:36 am Using a Protech rear shock in a late-Jet frame with late-Jet case. I’m using a CST3 exhaust so I’m not really interested in lowering my engine.
Well, you only have 3 choices:

1) Offset cones - this is a very easy solution, and the least hassle, the CASA ones with a flat-edged bar are a great choice... but you have already stated: "I am not a fan of offset cones."

2) Fit a shorter rear shock - this is easy, but has a larger cost attached... but you have stated: "I’m using a CST3 exhaust so I’m not really interested in lowering my engine"

3) Get the grinder out - let us know how you get on :D
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
ulyssescale

drunkmunkey6969 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:15 am
Well, you only have 3 choices:

:D

I knew this was gonna be the situation. I was hoping someone would tell me something I hadn’t considered. I have the Casa flat-sided bolt with offset cones in my SSR265 and it’s good. I’ll just go with that. Cutting pieces off my frame seems like a last resort. But if it comes to that, I guess I’ll just take a deep breath and put on some safety glasses.

Thanks everyone.
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

If it only the tinware &/or cylinder head, I know which I would sacrifice rather than the frame.

Offset cones are all very well if they can be fitted & kept synced as per RLC's, but it is yet another 'variable' IMO......
Meds1
Main scooter: Lambretta li150s

Is there enough room to reshape shape the cowling to stop it fouling on the frame.
ulyssescale

Meds1 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:14 pm Is there enough room to reshape shape the cowling to stop it fouling on the frame.
No. I’m using carbon fiber tin.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

The Protech rear shock is available in two lengths, are you sure you haven’t got the longer one?
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

ulyssescale wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:27 am
Meds1 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:14 pm Is there enough room to reshape shape the cowling to stop it fouling on the frame.
No. I’m using carbon fiber tin.
In the interests of sharing information, is the "carbon fiber tin" an issue because:

a) no way will any head cowling fit even with some modification?
b) you do not want to modify the cowling in such a manner?

If we know the reason, we all learn & those of us trying to help will avoid making the same 'mistake' in our attempts.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information