Won’t cold start/choke.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

the original backfire could have blown a gasket on the inlet manifold or the base of the cylinder, ive just had this happen to me, a leak down test would be a good plan before you start messing about with jets as trying to re jet around an air leak.
Jasio
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175

holty wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:45 am the original backfire could have blown a gasket on the inlet manifold or the base of the cylinder, ive just had this happen to me, a leak down test would be a good plan before you start messing about with jets as trying to re jet around an air leak.
Interesting thought. Thank you. By leak down test, is that the same as a compression test?
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

a leak test is to check that the crankcase, cylinder, head and manifolds dont have any air leaks. an air leak will give running problems which if not fixed will lead to overheating and detonation, melting the piston or heat siezing. i use a blood pressure guage and hand pump and an adapter to fit into the carb rubber, and a rubber hose to go over the exhaust stub which is blanked off, when thats all fitted i simply pump up the pressure into the inlet manifold and look at the gauge it should hold pressure, if its leaking use warm soapy water to find out where from and fix the leak, then re test, i always leak test all engines i build, just to be safe.
Jasio
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175

That’s very helpful thank you. I have a couple of blood pressure cuffs and pumps so I will look to adapting as necessary. Great stuff folks. I’m not the sharpest at getting in here. But really appreciate the way people are helping out. 🙏🏼
holty wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:24 pm a leak test is to check that the crankcase, cylinder, head and manifolds dont have any air leaks. an air leak will give running problems which if not fixed will lead to overheating and detonation, melting the piston or heat siezing. i use a blood pressure guage and hand pump and an adapter to fit into the carb rubber, and a rubber hose to go over the exhaust stub which is blanked off, when thats all fitted i simply pump up the pressure into the inlet manifold and look at the gauge it should hold pressure, if its leaking use warm soapy water to find out where from and fix the leak, then re test, i always leak test all engines i build, just to be safe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information