Casa vs. Scootopia

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
vegansydney

Casa 185 v2 vs. Scootopia 185 - Can anyone that has built either of these (or both!) please tell me what the compression ratios are?

The Casa 185 v1 (pre-2015) has a geometric compression of 10.8:1 with a 1.1mm squish clearance. The volume of the combustion chamber with the piston at TDC is 19ml and with no squish (piston taped to head) it is 16ml. Has this changed with version 2 (mid 2015 - current)? How does the Scootopia compare?

Any other noticeable changes between v1, v2 and the Scootopia? Is there sufficient machining on the inlet face of v2 of the Casa or the Scootopia 185 to run non-Innocenti manifolds? Any changes in porting? Are heads compatible with each other? Pistons interchangeable?

I reached out to both companies several weeks ago and regarding compression ratios and they both promised to get back to me. So far radio silence, but to be fair we're in the middle of a pandemic, so hoping to crowd source some answers. Thanks in advance!
vegansydney

Some quick measurements by a Casa dealer here in the US makes me believe that the compression ratio of the current version (2015+) of the Casa 185 head remains the same as the earlier (pre-2015) version: a geometric compression of 10.8:1 with a 1.1mm squish clearance.

A UK based dealer has also told me that both the Casa and Scootopia kits are basically the same.

I know a number of people on here are running Casa 185 or Scootopia 185 kits, can someone please check their build notes and tell me what you measured your compression ratio. Thanks in advance!
ulyssescale

Scootopia is very difficult to get in touch with.
A chicken ain't nothing but a bird.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

The squish on my Scootopia kit is 1.5mm which they told me was about right.
vegansydney

Tractorman wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 am The squish on my Scootopia kit is 1.5mm which they told me was about right.
Did you also measure the compression ratio when you built it? If so, what did you find?

It appears all three kits (Casa v1, v2, and Scootopia) have the same compression ratio. If anyone knows any different, I'd be very interested to know.

The forthcoming 200cc small block Casa X1 Sport appears to have a different CR to the 185 it's based on
Casa Lambretta wrote:The combustion chamber profile has been designed to improve torque at low revs, to better adapt to the Lambretta engine's 4-speed gearbox.

Third time's a charm?
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

No, sorry.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I've got a Casa 185 on a series 2 and it is almost impossible to kickstart it.(the kickstart lever wont move unless you put all your weight(I weigh 16 stone) on it.)The gearbox is an Italian Li 150 with 16x46 sprockets.
ulyssescale

HxPaul wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:51 am I've got a Casa 185 on a series 2 and it is almost impossible to kickstart it.(the kickstart lever wont move unless you put all your weight(I weigh 16 stone) on it.)The gearbox is an Italian Li 150 with 16x46 sprockets.
My Casa 185 was also extremely difficult to kick over. A compression test showed nearly 160psi.

@Vegansydney Where is this 200cc small block kit you are referring to?
A chicken ain't nothing but a bird.
vegansydney

ulyssescale wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:10 am @Vegansydney Where is this 200cc small block kit you are referring to?
It was posted on Casa Lambretta's social media channels late last month. According to Vittorio, it's based on the Casa 185, but uses a 66.4mm piston, has an enlarged inlet face (so non-OEM manifolds can be used) and a fifth port. The exhaust port profile is also unique, and it appears the combustion chamber is different to Casa 185. Hopefully, they got the compression ratio right this time.

HxPaul wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:51 am I've got a Casa 185 on a series 2 and it is almost impossible to kickstart it.(the kickstart lever wont move unless you put all your weight(I weigh 16 stone) on it.)
I don't know what 16 stone is in kilograms without looking it up, but if that was mine I'd be stripping it down pronto to see what the issue is -- my wild guess is the compression ratio is too high and the combustion chamber needs to be enlarged to achieve a more suitable ratio.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

16 stone is 101.60kg.I have a series3 with a big block motor,it has a 210 top end.This is exactly the same as the Casa 185.This is discontinued though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information