LI125 With Scootopia 185cc kit

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Rodders1964
Main scooter: LI125 Series 3

I recently fitted a Scootopia 185cc kit to my scooter. It has a new SH2/22 carb with the recommended jetting and ignition timing from scootopia website.

The trouble is, it just won't start. It did after installation but slowly got worse and now won't start at all. I haven't even been able to ride it.

It has a good spark and fuel going through the pipe. How can I tell if fuel is going from the carb into the cylinder? I can only think that the problem is fuel related.

I'm by no means a mechanic so if anyone can help, I'd be really greatful.

Thanks for reading

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Check the plug and see if it smells like fuel. If it ran at one point then you can't be too far off. I'd do a compression check first and make sure it's making enough pressure (100-130psi) to fire off the fuel.
Rodders1964

Thanks Grumpy. What's the procedure for that? I bought a cheap compression testing kit a few years ago but it didn't even buge on the gauge. Maybe I was doing it wrong or the kit is junk.

holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

did you re torque the head after 100 miles or so, could easy be a leaky head gasket, of blown gasket, a leak test is the best way to check.
Rodders1964

holty wrote:did you re torque the head after 100 miles or so, could easy be a leaky head gasket, of blown gasket, a leak test is the best way to check.
I wish I could do 100 miles on it. It hasn't left my shed yet because of the starting issue. I need to research leak testing as well.

EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I would check your mixture and tickover adjuster screws are in roughly the right place. Then check the the carb bowl is full of fuel, and then check your jets are clear. Check there's nothing under the seat that's been sucked into the air box.

Check your plug isn't fouled. If it ran for a bit and the mixture was too rich, the plug could easily have fouled with oil or carbon. Quickest way is to fit a new one, they only cost a pound.

Then check your exhaust and inlet manifolds aren't loose.
Rodders1964

EddieStone wrote:I would check your mixture and tickover adjuster screws are in roughly the right place. Then check the the carb bowl is full of fuel, and then check your jets are clear. Check there's nothing under the seat that's been sucked into the air box.

Check your plug isn't fouled. If it ran for a bit and the mixture was too rich, the plug could easily have fouled with oil or carbon. Quickest way is to fit a new one, they only cost a pound.

Thanks for tips EddieStone. I'll hopefully get chance to have a look tomorrow.

Rodders1964

EddieStone wrote:I would check your mixture and tickover adjuster screws are in roughly the right place. Then check the the carb bowl is full of fuel, and then check your jets are clear. Check there's nothing under the seat that's been sucked into the air box.

I think you might be onto something with the float bowl. When I took it off today, I don't think there was any fuel in there. How do I fix that?

Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Rodders1964 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:36 pm Thanks Grumpy. What's the procedure for that? I bought a cheap compression testing kit a few years ago but it didn't even buge on the gauge. Maybe I was doing it wrong or the kit is junk.

https://youtu.be/l_RMl5IIenA
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

There is no head gasket with a Scootopia kit just use a sealant. If the float bowl is dry and you have fuel coming down the pipe then it must be a blocked/problem either in the inlet filter housing, the float valve or float is sticking up. I have had on where the float has been caught on the bowl so would not move.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information